PDA

View Full Version : Juvi Common Tern

Joe Senzatimore
08-02-2009, 07:55 AM
The 1st nesting of Common Terns are leaving the colony and starting to fly. They still beg for food but the parents seem to be trying to encourge them to hunt on there own. From yesterday AM with some fellow NWPLIers.
400 ISO f5.6 at 1/500th

Stu Bowie
08-02-2009, 08:25 AM
The low angle works well here Joe, and I like soft light and pastel colours. There is a halo visible around the tern, evidence of oversharpening.

Harshad Barve
08-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Nice pose and BG , Low angles make it for me, Agreed on oversharpning
TFS

Joe Senzatimore
08-02-2009, 08:50 AM
The low angle works well here Joe, and I like soft light and pastel colours. There is a halo visible around the tern, evidence of oversharpening.

Everything I post gets a small halo. Wonder if it's from the jpeg conversion????

Arthur Morris
08-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Everything I post gets a small halo. Wonder if it's from the jpeg conversion????

Loverly, loverly, loverly. Love the light, the low angle, and the head angle. If you are not doing any selections, I would think that the halo is likely coming from sharpening the JPEG. When are you doing the sharpening? DO you sharpen your master files?

I do hope that there are some birds around at Nickerson for me to photograph when I get there on the afternoon of teh 19th. I have heard that it has been a bad year for the skimmers.....

Danny Laredo
08-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Nice image, I like the low angle and light. BG really works for me here.

Harold Davis
08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
agreed, this is loverly for sure!! i love the colors and cleanliness. well done!

Grace Scalzo
08-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I like the gentle slope of the sand against the clear blue sky. Adds interest to your background. Sweet, Joe.

denise ippolito
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Joe, They are getting so big! I love the low angle and the soft color palette.

Joe Senzatimore
08-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Loverly, loverly, loverly. Love the light, the low angle, and the head angle. If you are not doing any selections, I would think that the halo is likely coming from sharpening the JPEG. When are you doing the sharpening? DO you sharpen your master files?

I do hope that there are some birds around at Nickerson for me to photograph when I get there on the afternoon of teh 19th. I have heard that it has been a bad year for the skimmers.....

I don't sharpen the master files. I only sharpen after I process it. It is the last thing I do before I save for web. I sharpen after I size it, then save it.
The skimmers seem to be doing just fine to me. Lots of young. The least terns didn't do so well this year. When you get here the skimmers should be ready to fly and the 2nd nesting of Common Terns as well. You should be able to get some feedings, etc.

Simon Bennett
08-03-2009, 02:19 AM
I like the pose, head-turn, a low angle, detail and exposure. Not to mention the lovely pale blue sea and white sand setting.