Av
Spot metering
ISO200
+1
2224x1488 pixels crop
AF continuous
GIMP

Hi everybody:

I love these birds, I hope you like the pic.

Bye,

Lance Peters
08-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi Diego - like the pose and the wing spread -like how you have left room up front for him to fly into.
Bird looks a tad dark - opening up the midtones might help a little - also looks a tad soft on my screen.

Not sure about the spot metering - why were you using spot and what did you meter off??

Harold Davis
08-02-2009, 08:51 AM
i'd say about 2/3rds under here. darker birds need more exposure compensation. would have produced more detail in the blacks and completely blown out the bg. makes a weird looking histogram, but you just have to trust it. great composition. i like the pose. consider shooting at least ISO 400 for birds in flight. will give you more shutter speed.

Gus Cobos
08-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi Diego,
I like the composition and capture...your subject is placed well in frame, but a tad under exposed, the mid-tones need to be adjusted...I like the sharp eye and head angle...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

BillTyler
08-02-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the image very much except for the darkness. If you have Lightroom, you might try the "fill light" control to open up the detail in the dark feathers.

Bill

Alfred Forns
08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Diego

Love the banking pose and wing position Just wondering about the spot metering also If you want to use spot then would highly recommend going to full manual exposure. If the spot hits the bird or the sky the exp difference will be greatly different but the bird is in the same light !!!! Vale !!!

Bob Miller
08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi Diego.....Nice pose and composition on your bird. Looking at the histogram after the shot can help adjust exposure.

Diego Torrentes
08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Hi everybody:

I'd like to thank you for your advices about middle tone adjustments which I really apreciate. The picture was taken when the sun was high in the sky, so the difference between the brightness of the sky and the bottom of the bird (black-gray) is too high. I don't use flash, and I'm wondering if it could help the reduce this difference of brightness. The exposure was +1 in the camera and +1,5 in the raw converter and then I made some more ajustment in middle tones in GIMP, and some sharpening too, but the picture post is the best I could get.
Alfred I'm going to try with multi-segment metering next time, I'm going to follow your advice.:D

Cheers,