PDA

View Full Version : Grooming

Jasper Doest
01-02-2008, 05:01 AM
When you're able to spend a lot of time with your subjects it is always nice to try to capture common behavior in a different perspective. We usually go for a straight forward approach when photographing wildlife...while a new perspective can be just as rewarding. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...it also depends on who is the viewer...

Here I wanted to create a photograph showing what grooming is all about. I'd be interested to hear what you (dis)like about this one. It was just a little experiment while photographing Japanese macaques in 2007.

Canon EOS1Dmk2N
Canon EF17-40/4.0L USM @ 40mm
1/250 @ f/8.0
ISO250, RAW
Handheld, fill-flash

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Hi Jasper. Interesting approach. I'm not sure whether I would have prefered your DOF a bit forward on not. I think I would have to see both to decide. My eyes seem to keep going to the face and OOF hand wanting to see them cleary. Seems to add visual tension. A bit out of the box for sure...

Terry Eddington
01-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Jasper, I agree your approach is interesting and the close up aspect is impressive. I agree that I'd prefer either a more forward focus or a smaller aperature to increase DOF and detail all over. IMO the shot is too close as I can neither tell what kind of critter you're photographing or get a "sense" of what he is doing. I definitely think it is an approach worth pursuing as, as you say, a different perspective.

Krijn Trimbos
01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I agree with the others here. The idea is excellent but the shot is too close to be captured by the brooming monkey focussing on the fur of the other one....Also is it just me or could this use a bit more contrast???

John Cooper
01-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Jasper, yes a different approach and the idea is good but I would like to see both paws in focus as they separate the fur.