PDA

View Full Version : ACR Tools- Graduated ND

Michael Lloyd
08-01-2009, 09:25 AM
If you shoot RAW format (and you should) and you use ACR 5.0 (Adobe Camera Raw) you have some pretty nice tools available for image editing. I try to do 95% of my editing in ACR. Doing so speeds my workflow up exponentially. Occasionally I'll shoot an image and wish I had used my Graduated Neutral Density filter. Thanks to Adobe, there is another option. I'm on the road at the moment and all I have to use for an example is what I shot yesterday. The image that I used as an example is not very good but it suited this post. I'll post the original first, then the screenshot, then the final image.

The GND filter is easy to use. The screenshot shows that I actually applied two GND's to the image. It doesn't show the "ball colors" so I'll explain them. To apply a GND filter you click the Graduated Neutral Density icon at the top of the ACR window. It's at the far right. Select the location on the image where you want to begin, hold the left mouse button down and drag the filter window up or down. The starting point is the brightest point and the end is the darkest. The "bright end" of the "stick" will have a green ball on it and the "dark end" will have a red ball on it. In the image below I started at the bottom and dragged the filter up. I used two filters to even out the exposure. Each filter has it's own settings.

I could probably do a better job of explaining this but I think the real trick to learning how to use the GND filter supplied in ACR is to use it.

(Just curious, does this tutorial give me an all expenses paid 2010 Galapagos trip :D I'm just askin :D )

Michael Lloyd
08-02-2009, 08:50 PM
OK... Now that we have it moved and approved... I can finish this post...

I'm including three links that beat the socks off of anything that I could post.

Link #1 (http://jaykinghorn.com/?p=59)

Link #2 (this is a PDF file and it includes the adjustment brush too) (http://wpsphoto.org/Adjustment%20Brush.pdf)

Link #3 (really good video on this one) (http://www.layersmagazine.com/photoshop-cs4-graduated-filters.html)

Also... a screenshot of the finished product in ACR

Julie Kenward
08-16-2009, 01:51 AM
Michael, I agree. I just learned how to correctly use this tool in one of the Scott Kelby Online training classes and it works great. They have an entire online class on how to get the most out of ACR and it's really made a big difference in how I adjust my images now. Thanks for the tips here as well.

Michael Lloyd
08-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Michael, I agree. I just learned how to correctly use this tool in one of the Scott Kelby Online training classes and it works great. They have an entire online class on how to get the most out of ACR and it's really made a big difference in how I adjust my images now. Thanks for the tips here as well.

Would you say that those classes are worthwhile Julie? I've been feeling kind of trapped in a Photoshop rut lately and I've wanted to take some classes. Scott Kelby's books are a great resource but I tend to learn better visually. If I can ever get into one of John Paul Caponigro's classes on printing I plan to do that too (or maybe it's just an excuse to take the trip to Maine that I've always wanted to take :) )

Julie Kenward
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
I thought they were invaluable last year when I was learning PS. I stopped taking them once I had taken all the classes that interested me. I took about nine months off and am now back for a few months to take the newer classes on CS4 and some of the other photography ones. I feel for $20/month they were totally worth it to me. I had barely learned PSE when I upgraded to PS and they made the transition so much smoother. I really like that they tend to give you a lot of "inside" information and lots of shortcuts to speed up your workflow.

The best part is you can stop taking them at any time and re-enlist when new classes are brought online so you aren't sitting there wasting money in the months you don't have time to be online learning.

Michael Lloyd
08-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I'll have to check those out. Thanks!