PDA

View Full Version : Black-tailed Godwit

Rich Steel
08-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Hi

The waders are just starting to return back here from the north and I look foward to having some fun with them in the months ahead. This photo was taken earlier in the year as they were travelling northward and is one of my favourite wading birds the black-tailed godwit which I think look very smart in their summer colours. A lower angle would have been nice but this photo was taken from a public hide at RSPB Marshside which obviously restricts what you can do.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/marshsidebtgodwits03.jpg

Taken with 50D with 500mm lens and 1.4TC at ISO400 F7.1 at 1/1600s

Cheers

Rich

Randy Stout
08-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Rich:

Nice colors, well exposed, nice HA. The shooting angle works for me in this image.

The sharpness overall looks fine, I might give the eye one more pass of USM.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Arthur Morris
08-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Loverly, loverly, loverly. All the techs are right on and the COMP is perfect. I would like to have seen this guy when he finished molting. Not getting anything either great or good this species was the only disappointment on my Iceland trip in 2007.

Simon Bennett
08-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I like the composition, setting and light.

Stu Bowie
08-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I like the low angle in this Rich, good light, detail and colours too. This is sharp, and I would maybe try and lighten the eye a bit.

Rich Steel
08-02-2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. We never quite get the birds in full summer colours on the spring passage through. In fact I suspect this bird was bound for Iceland as its final destination. The currently returning waders give a better chance of full summer colours but still takes some finding amongst the range of moulting birds.

So to get round this I have decided that next May / June I am going to head up to Varanger at the top of Norway for a week to see if I can find some waders, amonsgt other birds, in full summer colours.

Cheers

Rich

Arthur Morris
08-02-2009, 03:56 AM
Thanks Rich, Have a great trip. I am looking forward to seeing some more killer shorebird images.