PDA

View Full Version : Common loon

Francis Bossé
07-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi,

Created this on a lake up north Montreal. Not much light few waves and peoples moving in the boat did not help to grab sharp picture. I thought about this picture some time and I finally got my chance at it.

The young is the result of a platform build by a friend photographer for the loon to nest.

Thanks for looking...

MK III, 700mm 1/160 f/6,3 ISO400 flash -2/3 Manual exposition
http://www.exonet.qc.ca/plogger/plog-content/thumbs/lrg-498-ppn1211.jpg

Keith Carver
07-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Very nice composition, Francis, great eye contact with both adult and chick (not easy to do), perfect exposure which is difficult with those bright white breast feathers. Considering the 1/160 sec exposure (in a boat), image sharpness is very good. Looks like a slightly magenta cast, easily corrected. Overall, superb.

Art Peslak
07-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Sharpness of adult and chick is very good esp at 1/160. The green water complements the bird very well.

Randy Stout
07-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Francis:

Lovely composition, head angle, colors.

The image is a bit oversharpened as there are jagged edges showing up on the top of the adults bill, and the back of the head is starting to look a bit "cookie cutter" like.

The exposure is a pretty good compromise, although the small white flecks throughout the back are hot.

Excellent job under trying conditions. I hope to get out with our local loons (Michigan) soon.

cheers

Randy

Ilija Dukovski
07-31-2009, 09:31 PM
Very good composition and feel here, I love the youngster,
Agree about sharpening as said above.
Not and easy bird to get right exposure,

Brian Barcelos
07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm with Randy here. Very lovely image overall. I especially love the color of the water. and the baby is a big plus, very cute ridding mamas back. Congrats

Brian

Kiran Poonacha
08-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Very beautiful, loved the pose and Angle, the expo look great and the chicks really tops it.. congrats...

Stu Bowie
08-01-2009, 05:27 AM
I think you have exposed this exceptionally well, and just love the detail and colours on the Loon. The chick on the back takes this over the top. Congrats, I like this lots.

Arthur Morris
08-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Love all the positives as noted above. No negatives for me. I love the two identical head angles and head positions.

Dominic Cantin
08-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Congrats for this capture Francis ! I like the composition , sharpness and attitude of both ! The reflections are very nice too ! Keep shooting ;)

Dom :)