PDA

View Full Version : Katmai Bear Tracks

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 05:05 PM
This has been my primary mode of transportation while in Alaska. This is in Katmai NP Brooks lodge and yes......those are fresh bear tracks leading to the plane.

Alfred Forns
07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Love those tracks Roman :) ... is that a beaver?

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I think so Al. Mine was actually an old Dehavallind. I have seen a flight delayed.....because of a bear swimming near the planes. A few sub adults even like to stomp on the floats!

Gus Cobos
07-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Now this is remote, as remote can get...Love it Roman...did you get a chance to photograph these browns up close...:eek::D:cool:

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Only about 2500 keepers! actually I camped....but there is a lodge (small) so I didn't have to pack food and it had a bar!.....so Alaskan Amber on tap it was at the end of the day! The cabins are tiny (2 twin bunkbeds and $$$. Will post that tomorrow.

Have a close up in Wildlife;

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42317

Gus Cobos
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
I just saw your Brown...lovely capture...:cool:

Roger Clark
08-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Roman,
Great image. It reminds me of last September at Brooks. It was late in the day and 3 of us decided to head NW on the trail out of the lodge area to do some forest floor closeups. Two of us were on our knees photographing and one was a spotter. To my amazement about 30 feet from me, one of the largest brown bears I have ever seen comes out of the forest onto the trail. I'm on my knees looking up at him! He looks at us and turns and heads toward the lodge. What was so amazing was how silent he was moving through the brush off the trail. We never heard him. The spotter was looking the other way. A few moments later we heard yelling in the lodge area "bear in camp!" Figuring we would just run into him again if we headed back to camp, we resumed closeup photography, this time with two spotters and one person photographing on their knees. ;) We didn't stay too long and went back to camp about a half hour later. I have an image of the bear's rear as he headed to camp. I was too in shock when he first appeared to get an image, but that would have been great. We didn't do any more forest floor photography in that area, but did along the trail to the falls. We had another bear follow us down the falls trail, but soon it went off the trail.

For those who have not been to Brooks, it is astounding. In 30+ years, according to a ranger I talked to, there has never been a bear attack on people except for one camper who cooked a salmon dinner and didn't change clothes. A bear bit him in the butt! The bears are at Brooks to catch and eat salmon. People have been knocked over on trails by bears running down the trails, but no serious injuries (again according to this ranger).

Roger

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Looks like an awesome place. I hope they don't let the bears fly! :D