PDA

View Full Version : Caracara Chimango

Ramon M. Casares
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, I am still owrking with the two species of brids of prey that visit me regularly, and here's one from yesterday. Today I will be re-lacating the perch to another place to see if I can get better BGs as for where it is now I can't get much farther from the perch as the BG is preety close to the it and so I am not able to take landing or take off images with full wingpreads. These scavengers are preety common here but each day I find them more and more beautfull.
Hope you like it.

Comments and critiques are welcome and apreciated!

1/500Seg.

F4.0
+1
ISO 500
MarkII
300mm f4
Blind
Monopod
Bait
About 10% crop

Stu Bowie
07-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Ramon, I like the leaning pose, and you have captured a great HA here. Stunning light, you usual sharpness, and I really like the overall colours in this. A very interesting perch, with lovely surroundings. Great image, and congrats.

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-31-2009, 11:29 AM
I still admire your sharpness technic what you nattily keep in secret :D
A beautiful image. I feel a touch of Alan Murphy's setup style here. For my taste the perch itself without the stringer and the green liane would work better. ;) But that is just a personal preference to show our subject in as much natural environment as possible.
Oh, something about the bird itself: PERFECT!

Szimi

Adams Serra
07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Ramon,
Beautiful bird and very nice BG, He looks similar to a Mivalgo chimachima. We see them here in Brasil on the cattle fields.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Sharpness, angle, BG and eye contact are great. The setup looks a bit too artificial for my taste and the bait looks a bit too prominent. Is this a piece of meat you got at the supermarket? :)

Brian Barcelos
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Ramon, Very artistic look. Love these birds they are very handsome. Sharpness, colors, BG, eye contact are all spectacular. Love the perch except for the green leaves crawling up it. Congrats.

Brian

Ramon M. Casares
07-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi Ramon,
Beautiful bird and very nice BG, He looks similar to a Mivalgo chimachima. We see them here in Brasil on the cattle fields.

Hi Adam, we have Chimachimas here in Argentina, they are even more beautifull than the Chimangos IMO, but that specis is not near where I live and I didn't have the chance to work on it yet... hope to be able to do ir soon.

Sharpness, angle, BG and eye contact are great. The setup looks a bit too artificial for my taste and the bait looks a bit too prominent. Is this a piece of meat you got at the supermarket? :)

:o Yeah Axel... I was hoping that it wasn't going to be visible, but the bird pulled it so much ... :(

Ramon, Very artistic look. Love these birds they are very handsome. Sharpness, colors, BG, eye contact are all spectacular. Love the perch except for the green leaves crawling up it. Congrats.

Brian

Brian, nobody seems to like the green leaves... I guess I am just going to have to stop using them :D

Thank you all for your kind words, suggestion and critique!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Brian, nobody seems to like the green leaves... I guess I am just going to have to stop using them :D

Thank you all for your kind words, suggestion and critique!

Actually, I don't mind the leaves. Part of the problem might be that you have so many different kinds of plants in this small area, which seems unlikely to find in the field that way.

colincarter
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
great shot Ramon, i actually like the perch and the background is superb. great sharpness aswell on the bird

Jan Wegener
07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
this shots is simply stunning. Perfect bird pose and BG. However, your set ups are still a bit too much.

Try to select only one kind of plant to place around the set up. I personally would go for a more dominant stump with a lot of character to it or a nice twisted branch. Where do they naturally perch on ?

Ramon M. Casares
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Actually, I don't mind the leaves. Part of the problem might be that you have so many different kinds of plants in this small area, which seems unlikely to find in the field that way.

I will get rid of some then and see how it looks like, I'll give a try today, hope he perches :o Thanks for the advice.

Ramon M. Casares
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Where do they naturally perch on ?

These guys? Everywhere, trees, poles, rooftops, on the ground, really, preety much everywhere. I think I try a larger perch next time, I have a few that I collected the past weekend so I'll try one of them.

Dave Barnes
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Ramon the IQ is great. Super feather detail and good light.
The set up looks a bit like a flower arangement, I think. A bit too organized. May look better if the perch was not as central in the foilage? Maby a bit more grass on the left and the leaves up the branch look a bit domestic. (I hope this helps)

Fabs Forns
07-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Love the pose and eye contact. You are fattening up this beauty :)
The perch is beautiful but more for song birds :)
I don't mind the BG as presented, unless you have to work on it much?

Ramon M. Casares
07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Love the pose and eye contact. You are fattening up this beauty :)
The perch is beautiful but more for song birds :)
I don't mind the BG as presented, unless you have to work on it much?

Thanks Fabs, no I don't really need to do much except for brightening some dark spots, but if I get any farther from thre perch then it starts too look too bussy.

Gal Shon
07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
The light, comp, super sharp, BG, pose and colors are all stunning.
The setting / perch is a bit too much for me.

Kiran Poonacha
08-01-2009, 12:49 AM
All said above Roman, I loved the details, light and the cool pose... Congrats..

Danny Laredo
08-01-2009, 02:03 AM
Ramon, I like the image as is. Really nice.

Morkel Erasmus
08-01-2009, 04:41 AM
tack sharp as usual, in sweet light and showing oodles of detail. I don't mind the 'supermarket meat' that much, and quite like the plant variety on the perch (although I wouldn't know which of those would occur naturally together in the wild). great shot Ramon!

Mohanram Kemparaju
08-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Beautiful image Ramon, hard to believe that they are scavengers there.Beautiful perch as well, im sure a lot of hard work and importance to minute detail has gone into it.The piece of meat makes it too obvious....

Ramon M. Casares
08-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Beautiful image Ramon, hard to believe that they are scavengers there.Beautiful perch as well, im sure a lot of hard work and importance to minute detail has gone into it.The piece of meat makes it too obvious....

Thanks Mohanram, I agree with you about the meat :o