PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Teton reflections

Kerry Perkins
07-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Taken on my recent trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, this is the view from Oxbow Bend. This scene has been photographed so much that there are three permanent holes in the ground at the edge of the water!

Started with an HDR image, merged in CS4, then applied a DAP "Illustrator" effect. It rained the whole week I was there, so there wasn't much color to he captured. Tried to punch it up a bit in PP.

Dave Mills
07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Kerry,I think the DAP effect made the image a pleasing one. The sky has interest which can carry the amount of space devoted to it. I like the brush on the bottom of the image but I don't feel it works well on the sides.

Kerry Perkins
07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi Dave. I agree about the brush strokes at the edges. I cropped some of it away, but it still looks strange. Do you think it would work to crop even more of that out?

Thanks!

Dave Mills
07-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Kerry, I did this very quickly but just wanted to give you another way of presentation. This is more in line of the classic comp and sometimes it's shown with a bit of foreground on the right. I cropped a bit off the top, eliminated scrub and added a bit of canvas to the bottom.

Cindy Cone
07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Nice presentation with DAP, Kerry. I agree with Dave, and I like the repost. It is one of the most photographed places in the Tetons. I wonder what it would like as a B&W?

Dave Phillips
07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
nice work Kerry....I like the brushed edges, but much softer.
Save out of DAP as a layered .PSD(if using photoshop) and then you can reduce the opacity at the edges a bit

Kerry Perkins
07-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Dave, that's awesome! Thanks so much. That's very clean and more like what I had in mind.

Cindy, I tried some B&W with this and it just doesn't punch very well. I may try some other ideas with the original though along those lines... Thanks for looking!

Cheryl Slechta
07-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Dave and Kerry - The repost is really great!

_________
Cheryl

Indranil Sircar
07-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Excellent composition, Kerry. I love the DAP perspective of Teton.

denise ippolito
08-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Kerry, Really nice composition and the DAP looks great -Very nice re-post!

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Nice work Kerry. I like it except the frame itself. It detracts from the beauty of the image for me at least. Thanks for sharing. :)