Daniel Belasco
07-29-2009, 11:13 PM
canon 1dMkIIN
canon 100-400 f5.6 @ 220mm f8
1/640 sec iso 800

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=yzxkd3&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

Don Anderson
07-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Very interesting shot. the heron looks angry. Certainly could have used some fill flash to
brighten the heron. I love dark mood of the shot which would be lost if you had used a fill flash , I might have cropped it at the top of the ripples. This is a complex image, you'll likely get many ideas
of how it could have been better, but I sitll like it as is.

Joe Senzatimore
07-31-2009, 10:17 AM
The bright spot in the BG needs to be toned down as it pulls the eye right to it and the heron needs to be a bit lighter. The dark mood is OK but you need to see the subject just a bit more bright.

Daniel Cadieux
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Lots going on here between the subject, reflection, twigs, and ripple - I'm wondering if going all the way to 400mm to isolate the bird more would have been a better strategy. It's too bad you got some vegetation covering the face in the reflection. What caused the ripple above? Another heron perhaps?

Daniel Belasco
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Joe
I saw the bright spot, but didn't know what to do with it. It seems to me the curve in the spot kinda leads to the heron.
Hi Daniel
The ripple was caused by a stilt that walked by.
I have a lot of images from this setting and I liked the light (some not so dark), and of course Green Herons don't move when in such positions. I will post a few other images from this scene next. I have some zoomed in closer shots and the heron facing me and the heron and stilt together,
I'm waiting for feedback on this one so I don't post another with the same mistakes.