PDA

View Full Version : workshop use of images

Roger Clark
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Hello,

I've had a photographer request the use of images and charts from my web site for use in a photography workshop. He would use them in his presentation and handouts. All for the credit and reference to my web site. For those who have done workshops, is this common? Is it common to ask to use such materials for free for use in a profit making workshop? While I generally give free permission for use of materials for non-profit educational and research purpose, my images have sold for profit making businesses from advertising to calendars and books. This is a new type of request I have not encountered before.

Roger

Randy Stout
07-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Roger:

Doesn't sound fair to me. You do all the work, he makes money off it, you might get some advertising.
This arrangement wouldn't work for me.

Randy

Jim Neiger
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd do it for a friend, but not for a stranger.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
If someone conducts workshops I would assume he/she has plenty of images without having to rely on someone else. Since this workshop is for profit, I don't think it is a reasonable request.

Rocky Sharwell
07-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Roger--

My thoughts are identical to Jim Neiger's. I would let anyone of my friends who run workshops have images fpr free--but no way would I let a stranger have images unless they have a really compelling reason.

david cramer
07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
I'd certainly take it as a compliment, but it does seem odd. I agree with Jim.

John Chardine
07-31-2009, 10:49 AM
I would ask for a fee Roger. The key point is that the workshops are for-profit.

Nick Palmieri
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I'd say you should start giving workshops!

Roger Clark
07-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks Everyone,
Your feelings are the same as mine; it's just good to know I wasn't thinking off track. The request was vague and I asked for specifics of what he wants and he has not emailed back. One thing he wanted was some of my charts on camera sensor performance, and I am willing to let people use them.

Someday I may do workshops, I'm just too busy for the next few years working with 3 planetary spacecraft.
And when I do get time my first priority is getting outside for more photography, which then rarely leaves time to process those photos. Ahhh something for retirement. :D

Roger

Mark Fuge
07-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Roger,

Don't wait for retirement, it doesn't work that way. I've been retired twice and there is more "busy work" than when I was working full time and doing photography totally for the enjoyment. The days get very short, even if you get up at 5:30. Live today! ;)

As for the request, I agree with the others. If he wants to give a talk, he should show his images, unless he is trying to show what not to do ... in which case I would not feel honored to have him use them. :eek:

Roger Clark
07-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Roger,

Don't wait for retirement, it doesn't work that way.

Mark,
I agree. That is why my first priority when I have time off is to get outdoors and enjoy it and take pictures. I tell people when I retire in 4.5 years, I'll take my research projects to a research institute and work half time--that way I'll only have to work 40 hours per week. ;)
But I also enjoy research on other planets and it is my true first passion (I'm also taking pictures there too). It is the 3 out 5 days of administrative BS that I can stand. Like yesterday I had to take an online course that says I must archive my email--fine but it is not archived until it is printed and filed! If I start now, I'll fill 500 file cabinets by the time I retire if I do nothing else but print; spacecraft teams generate a lot of email with a lot of complex data that must be "archived." Then they said we must print out all desktop applications. Hmm, one data set I worked on this week fills 246 file cabinet's and that's just one orbit! With 12 orbits/day it is impossible to "archive" it all. Some bureaucrat has no clue what his/her rule actually means.

So this weekend I'll forget about the BS and go take pictures. :D

Roger

James Shadle
07-31-2009, 09:57 PM
So this weekend I'll forget about the BS and go take pictures. :D
Brilliant!

Roger,
I conduct workshops and would never ask anyone to use their intellectual property without compensating them in some way.

I'll trade you 3 pie charts for an extra day on the Hooptie Deux;).

Sabyasachi Patra
08-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Roger,
I agree that a person offering a workshop should post his images. Posting images of someone else, is unethical, as people are likely to be swayed by the images and expect such opportunities would be available in the workshop.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

William Malacarne
08-01-2009, 07:37 AM
The request was vague and I asked for specifics of what he wants and he has not emailed back. One thing he wanted was some of my charts on camera sensor performance, and I am willing to let people use them.

Roger

I feel if he is only wanting tech charts etc there is nothing wrong with that, but he should pay for them. If he wants nature photos etc, then it should be a flat no. Not many people have the equipment or expertise to make the tech charts such as Mr Clark and I see nothing wrong with using them for tech or educational work, but like I said for a price.

Bill

Roger Clark
08-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I feel if he is only wanting tech charts etc there is nothing wrong with that, but he should pay for them. If he wants nature photos etc, then it should be a flat no. Not many people have the equipment or expertise to make the tech charts such as Mr Clark and I see nothing wrong with using them for tech or educational work, but like I said for a price.

Bill

All,

The person asked for "diagrams (and sample photos)." In general, I'm more an open source guy (e.g. I make all my source code at work available). So if someone wants to use diagrams, such as those from:

Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter? Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera (Does Sensor Size Matter?)
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

Digital Camera Sensor Performance Summary
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary

I am generally willing to allow some use at no cost. I think it is important to help teach for the greater good. If it was to become a regular and significant part of a workshop, then perhaps some compensation would be in order.

Roger