PDA

View Full Version : Early morning Bosque

Alfred Forns
07-29-2009, 05:57 PM
From a few years back at Bosque del Apache got one of those rear mornings when we got fire in the mist. Has to do with temp/moisture and never figured it out .. for predicting. Normally we look for a warm afternoon followed by a hard freeze the next day !!! One of my favorites Ron has me psyched with all his Bosque images :)

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 1DMk2
500 f4.0 IS 1.4X
f 10/0 1/4000 sec
Av - 1/3
ISO 200

Connie Mier
07-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Very powerful scene, the depth is fantastic. I wonder if you used evaluative metering or metered on the sky specifically. Just curious from a technical standpoint. And for what it is worth, I would wish for the flying bird to not be there, thought I'd never say that!

Jeff Cashdollar
07-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Al,

The silhouette with wings extended above the pack nicely centers my eye on the fire, mist and heart of the habitat. Great nature moment. I like the ISO 200 to capture max quality for a moment like this.

I assume you were in Eval metering?

Spot-on.

Gus Cobos
07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
This is one of your classic Mr. Forns...I love it....Excellent...the feel is off the charts...:):cool:

Alfred Forns
07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes it was Evaluative metering and shooting into the sun just as it was coming up, scene lasts less than one minute !! ... after that you can't make an image !!!

Connie the bird is subjective but its what I was trying for Got many others without the bird but for me it makes the image entirely. Sure wish I had another try under same conditions, I guess is what makes me keep going back to Bosque !!!! One magical place !!!

David Thomasson
07-29-2009, 07:25 PM
This is remarkable for its color, and even more so for the capture of the lone bird rising. Reminded me of
Artie's Katmai mountains (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=288572#post288572). Like that image, this one needs to be printed really big. Although I have some
minor second thoughts about this, I would probably crop off foreground and move the subject a little to the right.
Outstanding capture, Al.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7210/fogfire.jpg

Alfred Forns
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I like it a lot David Mine is almost straight out of the camera and a natural vertical Great repost and always appreciated !!!!

David Thomasson
07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
I like it a lot David Mine is almost straight out of the camera and a natural vertical Great repost and always appreciated !!!!

Yep, that was my reservation. It really is a natural vertical. You can't go wrong leaving it as is. I agree with Captain Cobos: This one's a classic.

Christopher Miller
07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Outstanding image, Al! The light and the one flying bird make it perfect!

Milt Berko
07-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Alfred, I prefer the re-post. It makes the image more outstanding. The bird needs the additional space to the left. Wonderful capture!

Milt

Bob Miller
07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Al...This image is just superb! I love the feeling it gives me of early morning in a great natural place. i do agree with David's suggestion for cropping. Congrats on making such a beautiful image.

CliveTonge
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Thank you for sharing Alfred, it gives us something to aspire too.
I can see a number of ways of cropping this and all of them will make a great photograph. I am not sure any would be a marked improvement, just a different look.
My local printers have a paper from Kodak, I believe it is call "Digital Metallic". This image is what they tell me it is designed for. It is particularly good at showing golds and silvers. If you don't know it, you may want to investigate it a bit. I think the combination would make truly spectacular prints.
Take care,
Clive

Alfred Forns
07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks Clive will look into it Had no clue about the paper !!!

Ron Boisvert
07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Alfred, WOW!! This is gorgeous! If my posting of all these amateur shots from Bosque has you psyched about posting your professional ones, don't expect me to stop posting mine for a long time!!! Keep them coming!!! Now I'm getting psyched about going back there and trying to do much better.

The Kodak paper Clive mentioned is indeed called Metallic and has a look to it that reminds me of the early Cibachrome papers. It's very glossy, enhances sharpness, has saturated colors, and a sort of silvery 3D look to it. I don't think it is suitable for all types of images, but I agree that this one would probably look great on it, or any other paper for that matter.

I'm going to go look for another Bosque image to post!:D

Hazel Grant
07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
re the cropping. I know that many recommend letting such flying birds have more room to to into, hence the shift to the right, but I also think that in this case the bird is the central focus with the others making a balanced frame around it. The dark at the top balances the bottom, so why not leave it as is, balanced all the way around and drawing the eye to the focal bird. Great shot!

Harold Davis
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
one of my favorites, for sure! i love the depth that the tones give you. i just like looking at it.

Lance Peters
07-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Stunning AL - a classic.

Metallic paper is the way to go for sure - gives reds/oranges a nice look.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
08-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow, what an image, the color of the mist, the mood is off the chart. Thank you for sharing this.
I agree with Hazel and would not crop it.