PDA

View Full Version : Crabbing nightheron

Connie Mier
07-29-2009, 05:54 PM
A yellowcrown nightheron feeding in the flats of Biscayne Bay at low tide. Shot a couple summers ago and recently post-processed using several strategies learned here on BPN. These included sharpening mask and some work with tonal curves.
Sony a100, Minolta 300mm f4, + 1.4XTC
f/4, 1/2000, -.7EV, evaluative metering
Thanks for looking
Connie

Fabs Forns
07-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Good catch, Connie, great light and colors, BG looks busy but not too much. Shame on the weeds in the water, but I guess that's where the food was. Very nice reflection, on clean waters.

Phil Ertel
07-29-2009, 06:36 PM
NIce overall composition in nice light. The reflections is lovely. I like the moment of capture with the bits in the beak. It appears to me that the image could use just a little clock-wise rotation (CW). When I used the ruler tool and draw a line from the eye to eye and then select image-rotate/arbitrary it yields a 1.89 degree CW rotation. Thanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I actually like the weeds showing through - it all adds quite a bit of textural interest. The greens in the FG are beautiful as well. You really did a nice job with this!

Brian Zwiebel
07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi Connie, A nice catch for you and the bird. I don't mind the vegetation in the water or the reflection from what must be the mangroves. It gives this one a nice sense of place. Nice lighting and a good composition.

Good Shooting!

BZ

Brian Barcelos
07-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Love the colors here, very calm mood. Super sharp and the food is a plus. The weeds also don't bother me, gives an insight to his environment. Congrats.

Brian

Arthur Morris
07-29-2009, 07:42 PM
From the title, I thought that the bird was complaining. I like the image. Nice light and a lovely reflection. And I like the BKGR. I actually love the o-o-f mangrove roots but not the grasses. My biggest suggestion would be to have pointed the lens to the right to move the bird a bit more left in the frame.

Raul Quinones
07-29-2009, 07:51 PM
I like the picture, nice colors and details specially on the eye. I also like the bird reflection on the "green" water.

Daniel Cadieux
07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I love the overall mood to this image. I like the brown tones in the upper half combined with the greens of the lower half. As posted I would prefer if the comp was cropped more at left and a bit at top too (or preferably as Artie suggests, having moved your gear to compose that way in-camera).

Harshad Barve
07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
All good points covered and agrred
This is beautiful image
TFS

Connie Mier
07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Everyone, thank you for your comments and suggestions, and duly noted and appreciated! FYI, this was shot from a canoe in shallow water in which I could immobilize the boat. Realizing the limitations of shooting from a boat, I would also like to add that it also provides opportunities otherwise not possible from foot, a suggestion for those who might or can consider the possibility.
Connie

david cramer
07-31-2009, 10:31 AM
I love this image, and I think the composition is spot on. On suggestion I would make is to add a little blur to the closer grasses. I think they add texture, and would be less distracting if blurred a bit. Nice detail, light, and movement!

Connie Mier
07-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks David. Would also like to add that I do like the grasses as seen very much. They demonstrate the environment and even more, they are a indication of good health for Biscayne Bay and its crystal clear waters.
Connie

colincarter
07-31-2009, 12:22 PM
lovely shot Connie, i think environmental shots look great. The reflection is superb and the light is stunning. The only thing i would do is move the bird a little to the left so it isn't quite so central. Superb photo

Kiran Poonacha
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Lovely image, Loved the reflection and extra space showing the surroundings add well... congrats...