PDA

View Full Version : Black on blue

wendell westfall
07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@400 1/1600 f/5.6 ISO500 0EV handheld

This was taken last week. I was almost directly under the bird. These black-colored bird images are very difficult for me. Not a very big crop, but tweaked extensively. Did it come out OK? Or would I be well off to abandon this image and hope for a better one later. (By the way, I do not have a flash.) All suggestions appreciated . . .

Wendell

Bob Miller
07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Wendall....your composition is working for me. You left room on the right side for the bird to look into and the obligue line of the perch works nicely to draw your eye to the bird. You might consider trying for a different head angle where the eye is more prominent and try a general small increase in sharpening overall. Exposure to me looks pretty good

Alfred Forns
07-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi Wendell Head angle aside you made the best possible from your position, the high angle is tough.

Light for above leaves a dark void in lower center which catches my eye, need about perfect light/angle to show those feathers well I find them a real challenge and shoot them all the time !! What I would do here is set up for flight and hope he takes off in the right direction !!!

Gus Cobos
07-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Wendell,
You did good considering the harsh lighting angle. Agree with Mr. Forns comments...the steep angle of capture does not bother me...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Ron Boisvert
07-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Wendell, I don't know how much better you could have done under the circumstances. Those dark feathers are quite a challenge.

Jeff Cashdollar
07-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Wendell,

How did Histogram look, the dark colors could use more detail IMO. Did you adjust the pixels to the right or suffer any clipping to the left?

On balance, the step angle and soft image make me pause,..but I like the perch, crop and bg,..I am torn my friend.

wendell westfall
07-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Jeff, my original histogram showed three slender vertical peaks (of red, green and blue) all in the very middle of the diagram, with no clipping on either end.

Jeff Cashdollar
07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Do you have Digital Basics. Artie has some sample Histograms that show examples of different-tone FG's on different-tone BG's. Might be a nice reference point.

Nice exposure, I guess its about MT in total. Are you using center sensor?
I have heard that flash can be a negative with black glossy birds anyway.

Well done.

Lance Peters
07-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Wendell - I am afraid the HAP are going to have to place you under arrest :)

All black birds are IMHO a difficult subject - just need that perfect light - looking forward to seeing more :)