PDA

View Full Version : South Portland Headlight Sunrise

Grady Weed
02-06-2008, 11:39 PM
The sunrises here in Maine, especially on the coast are breathtaking at times. If you can brave the high cold winds and the freezng temps, you will be rewarded. I like the sort of centered frame shot here. I have many more following the rule of thirds as well. Some with lobster boats in them etc. Next post will be of the Jonesport sunrise just before we left to photograph the Pufins.

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 12/6/2006 06:41:15, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/4Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +2/3, ISO 100, Lens EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 65.0 mm. Shot from tripod with cable release. What do you think?

Michael Pancier
02-07-2008, 06:08 AM
love the color grads and this is one of my favorite lighthouses. I'm trying to envision this angle with more in the foreground. (Can't recall if this angle is the parking lot or the rocky edges) ... would make great HDR :-)

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
This is a nice scene and you did well Grady capturing the expanse of the view and the colors of the sunset. I would suggest that the composition could be stronger if the tops of the house's chimney's did not touch the horizon. A slight higher elevation would be better to get them completely against the water. I would also place the lighthouse more to the left int he frame. That gets it out of the middle. I say left because if you go right you start to cut the house.

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 09:06 AM
What a lovely scene... I would give the image a bit more FG and move the lighthouse out of the center of the frame, to the left would probably work just fine..

Grady Weed
02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
The parking is to the right and down. I am standing on the snow covered hilll here. And as for more foreground, that might not work out too good, to much ugly would be seen. I do have more room to go either way and wondered what you guys might think of the center crop look.

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Grady,

I like the new version. More interest in the FG with the additional building and the boat. If you have it in the original, I would add just a bit more on the bottom to get the fence that comes in at the right building a bit away from the edge. Minor thing I know, but I feel will improve a really nice composition. I like the very subdued detail in the lighthouse.

Thanks for posting the new version. This is a great learning experience for those viewing the thread. I am looking forward to more of your images.

Gayle Clement
02-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I thought I liked the first post until I saw the second. This is a very pleasing composition. I love the feeling of movement caused by both the line of the fence and the boat.

David Kennedy
02-08-2008, 01:41 AM
I would piggy back on Robert's comments re: the second posted image, and suggest that the lighthouse also needed some space between it and the left edge of the frame.