PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron with Environment

WIlliam Maroldo
07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
SonyA700~Sony70-400G@330mm~ISO400~6.3~1/2000sec~manual exposure~hand held~Brays Bayou, Houston, Texas~7-23-09
CS4/ Topaz Adjust3(small detail preset) /Topaz Clean2
Something a bit different: green heron on the banks of Brays Bayou.
Comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

Dave Mills
07-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Bill, I like the effect,subtle colors, bird placement and pano crop. The waves certainly add to the images interest. Due to coloration of the bird he's almost blending in with the environment which I originally felt was a negative but after studying the image for awhile I like it. Nice overall!

Mark Fuge
07-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I had the same reaction to the bird as Dave did. I didn't know why you chose the title, as I couldn't find the bird! :confused: :D But when I did, I looked closer.

I like the image of the bird and the wave, but the center is void. It would be nice if they were closer, or a if there were a link formed between them. A fallen tree, diagonal element, or some other element to tie one to the other. I would almost prefer more space above, to try to link the two picture elements, to provide a smaller void ratio. Not sure how to solve it and also not sure if it needs to be. Just my original gut reaction to the image as presented.

I like it, but just wonder ... :confused:

However, your image and your vision. Nicely done.

WIlliam Maroldo
07-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks. Interesting take Mark. I guess I should have named it "Bank of the Bayou, with Bird". As far as tying elements together; I agree it is a important concept. In my opinion, the strong horizontal water element does this, as well as textural style itself. I wouldn't call the space between a void either, it is certainly filled with something. To me it is somewhat interesting, but of course this is an opinion. I really don't have some sort of vision of how it should be, I just try to come up with a solution to a compositional problem, and your solution is valid as well. Appreciate the observations. regards~Bill

Dave Phillips
07-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Bill, I have come back and looked at this many times...trying to like the comp.
Mark and you both make some good points. IMO, the water breaking can be the link
to the heron. I moved the right side over(a bit sloppily) to show my vision

http://i32.tinypic.com/30i9ea9.jpg

Nick Palmieri
07-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Love the re-post. The bird draws you to the waves and the waves pull your eye to the bird. Nice job on everyone's part.

WIlliam Maroldo
07-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I like the repost as well. Good job Dave. Much better compositionally, and I definitely have jumped over to Mark' s too much void idea. regards~Bill

Dave Mills
07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Dave, Definately alot stronger comp!

Mark Fuge
07-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Bill,

Dave definately solved my issue. However, I understand your view as well Bill. Just wanted to give some insite for the future. It is a good shot, just needed a little something, or a little something less! ;) :D

No sides on this one, just a big learning curve that we all share! Next time you can fix mine. Lord knows there are enough issues to keep you busy! ;) :D

Make A Great Day!