Low as possible wet day
1/250
f/8.0
ISO=400
Flash, set manual no BB

LRII--->CS4

Kerry Perkins
07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Jeff, nice capture! Did you have the bean bag on the ground? Image looks ever so slightly soft, might want to add some sharpening. For my tastes I would crop about a quarter off the top (or maybe only 18 cents) to center the bird vertically. Feels like it wants to be more of a pano crop, but like I said, that's taste (or the lack of it on my part :D). Good use of DOF!

Lance Peters
07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Hi Jeff - looks plenty sharp to me - Good HA and colours - think I would crop some from the top - not to a pano but just to get rid of the darker part at the top.
What is he standing on - the road???
Love these guys :)

Gus Cobos
07-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Hi Jeff,
I like the capture...the head angle and sharp eye contact...the details on the feathers are great...I also like the ultra low capture angle...my suggestion would be to crop just a tad from the top and crop from the right side of the frame and add more canvas to the left side in order to off center your subject...looking forward to our next one...:cool:

CliveTonge
07-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi Jeff,
Nice work. May I suggest a snorkel if you are going to continue to make Blubb shots. :)
Ah!! I see now that I have misunderstood what a Blubb was. I thought you were joking because you were so low and wet. I see now that a Blubb is a camera rest.
Leaving this up so others may avoid my error and maybe have a laugh too.
What a way to learn something new. Thanks for sharing
Clive

Jeff Cashdollar
07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
This guy & friends were in the parking lot at the local Target store. While my wife was shopping I saw them running around. It was getting dark and I wanted to practice manual flash techniques. Like Lance, I love to photograph these guys. Very colorful and wonderful stripes.

Clive, Blubb actual stands for something but I forget the words. It is sold by Artie and a great beanbag camera rest.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Alfred Forns
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi Jeff

I like the low angle ... guessing kneeling position or above ...not ground level !! Still effective !!!

Would only corp a little different taking from top and slight bottom then having more room to the left !!! Great find !!!!

Christopher Miller
07-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Like the low angle and pose, Jeff. Agree on cropping. Well done!

Jeff Cashdollar
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Chris,

Thanks, I think the manual flash turned out ok.

Harold Davis
07-31-2009, 01:41 PM
who'd a thunk it!! photographing a killdeer in a parking lot. i like it. the bird looks fresh and clean and very sharp. agree with al's crop suggestion.

nice way to pass the time when the wife is shopping. will have to keep that one in mind next time!!

Jeff Cashdollar
07-31-2009, 08:52 PM
harold,

Thanks, when Madeleine goes into Target, who knows when she might return. Happened to have gear in back of the Pilot, fetched the Blubb (Tn term) and drove around a bit. Local folks were asking me if I was with the Nashville new station.