PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily Duet

Julie Kenward
07-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I tried out my 400mm on the water pond at Powell Gardens this past weekend. It really helped me get up close to the lilies out in the middle of every thing. I've got to remember to buy a polarizing filter for these images!

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f/5.6L
f9 @ 1/1000, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, sunny WB, handheld
Processed in ACR & CS4; small crop, increased brightness, contrast, and clarity.

Markus Jais
07-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Yes, a polarizing filter is great for those type of images.
That said, I like this one a lot. I like the composition and the placement of the out of focus flower behind the other one.

Markus

Fabs Forns
07-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Very nice duo, with the perfect separation for the DOF to work. Well done, Jules :)

Randy Stout
07-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Jules:

Very nice as noted by Markus and Fabs.

The only thing that stands out for me is the lower unopened blossom, it almost looks like it has a halo. Perhaps some shadow work in here? I might consider a version without that flower at all.

Have a fun trip to Michigan! Some great stuff there.

Let me know what you find, as we will be going to the Porcupine Mtns. in August.

Randy

Richard Lovison
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Jules,

Love the composition and subject matter though I agree with Randy about the glow being a minor problem. Well done.

Anita Bower
08-03-2009, 04:12 AM
Jules: Your long lens is perfect for these types of images. You did well without a polarizing filter. Nice composition.