PDA

View Full Version : Puffin portrait

Charles Glatzer
07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Iceland 11 pm

1Ds Mark III, 600 mm, stacked extension tubes
Manual, (plus 2 EV off white chest) 1/200 @ f/8, ISO 400
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas <!-- / message -->

Aidan Briggs
07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Just about perfect. Killer light, exposure, and BG. Maybe just a tad more room in front.

Well Done!

Lorant Voros
07-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow....what a light. Very nice portrait...taken at 11PM :-). For me it is perfect with the magic light, the detail, comp, everything. Congratulations.

Marina Scarr
07-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Chas:

This is an absolutely gorgeous portrait. Wish for just a tad more room on top b/c it appears a bit cramped. I would also remove the white spec on the right side of the bird's lid.

The light and mood you have captured here are exquisite. It almost looks like a painting!

Marina

Harshad Barve
07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
what a light , beautiful image, IMHO some what tight in front
TFS

Charles Glatzer
07-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi Chas:

This is an absolutely gorgeous portrait. Wish for just a tad more room on top b/c it appears a bit cramped. I would also remove the white spec on the right side of the bird's lid.

The light and mood you have captured here are exquisite. It almost looks like a painting!

Marina

The white spec you are referencing is the natural catch-light. It is also indicative of the light direction falling on the subject. Shadow defines ;).

Best,

Chas

Ilija Dukovski
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Great light and nice clean look on the bird, very good portrait.

Marina Scarr
07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
The white spec you are referencing is the natural catch-light. It is also indicative of the light direction falling on the subject. Shadow defines ;).

I considered it may be catchlight but dismissed the idea when I zoomed in and looked at it. Thanks for the lesson. I am always happy to learn.

Marina

Ramon M. Casares
07-29-2009, 12:37 AM
I love it, light is magical. Species, detail and colors as well as BG and sharpness are great too.
It feels a tad tight IMO and I would've gone for an horizontal comp to give the bird more room and also to avoid the OOF wing, but that is just a matter of taste :)
Congratulaitons!

Gal Shon
07-29-2009, 05:37 AM
That is extraordinary,
Love it as is, but would prefer a bit more room top and right.

Krijn Trimbos
07-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Hi chas,

It seems you like you really shot the light here :):D

Beaufitul portrait in some gorgeous light. If anything I would add some room on top and the right otherwise perfect.

No critique on you image Chas, but I was wondering if anybody knew why their under mandible looks so worn out most of the time????

Cheers,

Krijn

Kiran Poonacha
07-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Nice feel to this, great light and details... the whites on the bottom looks diffrent from the whites on the bird face any reason for this, would love a little more space around.. still loved the image.. congrats..

Charles Glatzer
07-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I love it, light is magical. Species, detail and colors as well as BG and sharpness are great too.
It feels a tad tight IMO and I would've gone for an horizontal comp to give the bird more room and also to avoid the OOF wing, but that is just a matter of taste :)
Congratulaitons!

Ramon,

Image looks good as horz. :) I recommend taking at least 4 variations of cooporative subjects horz, vert, close-up, and environmental....as I did with this subject. Just choose to post the vert. You can view the environmental image on that other N_N site ;).

Best,

Chas

sree.kumar.h
07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
It can't get any better. Magical light makes the image.

Nagesh Mula
07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Simply Stunning Chas. Very good picture with warm light. Needless to say the whites are just fine. I liked the original version here. Congratulations!!

Keith Bauer
07-29-2009, 01:13 PM
The light on this puffin is simply stunning. Wonderful detail in the bird. I too would like a bit more room, but as posted it is a very powerful portrait.

Stephen Earle
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
The magic of light shown off so well. A different take on this species. TFS.

Mike Veltri
07-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Stunning as is!

Jory Griesman
08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Great portrait. Only thing to add to other comments is how well you've captured detail in blacks and whites, which is very difficult to do with puffins (IMHO). I also like the dark shade of black. I'm not sure if this is the way they all look, but I've seen a couple of other shots in the forum with a much lighter/greyer black, which I find less appealing (nature vs. capture/processing, I'm not sure).