PDA

View Full Version : Sow and Cub

Todd Frost
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Another grizzly with one of her twins from Yellowstone in early July
D200, 70-200@200mm, F6.3, 1/320, AWB, spot metering.
Been thinking about cropping a little off the bottom, thoughts?
Thanks for looking,
Todd

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
I really like the nice alert look of the sow. I wish we could see the cub a little better. The flowers in the BG are a nice touch. Since the bears are about mid frame it would be good to crop off the bottom of the frame and put the bears about 1/3 up from the bottom.....

Todd Frost
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
I know what you mean about the cub, but it just wouldn't show itself at that time. Should have brought the weed eater:D. As far as crop goes as I mentioned I was thinking the same thing. Good to know my thoughts are on the same lines as such a respected veteran photographer.
Thanks for the comments,
Todd

Jim Poor
02-07-2008, 10:32 AM
To my eyes, this pictures with a lot of green grass often come out looking too yellow.

I'm curious if it is just me, and what others think.
The greens look more natural to me in this version:

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I do understand how difficult it is to photograph the COY successfully in the high grass. Hard to believe how small they are that time of the year. I have the same difficulties and frustrations..... Was this image taken east of Fishing Bridge along the lake at Mary Bay or Sedge Bay?

Todd Frost
02-07-2008, 11:38 AM
The image was taken on Dunraven Pass about 1/4 mile from top on the Tower side. As far as the yellow cast goes, I tried out the "Vivid" setting on the D200. I'll never use it again, lots of reducing of saturation, maybe not quite enough as I think I like Jims version a little better.

Todd

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
OK I know which bear it was, thanks....

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Todd,

You made a nice environmental image that shows the sow/cub in their environment with those colorful flowers in the BG. Nice work.

Though the bears are mid-frame I like how the FG grasses frame them. I had the same issues in Alaska with the cubs in the grass and understand the frustration. Jim's color corrected version looks right on to me.