PDA

View Full Version : Resplendent Quetzal

Doug Brown
07-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I just formally announced my 2010 Costa Rica Workshop, so I thought I'd post a couple of images from prior trips. The Resplendent Quetzal, thought by many to be the most beautiful bird in the world, is both a thrill and a challenge to photograph. They are often found in low light settings, necessitating the use of fill flash. But these birds require a delicate balance of fill flash in order to not look over-flashed. When you get it right, the images can be spectacular!

http://birdwhisperer.smugmug.com/photos/554094186_ySU67-O-3.jpg

Canon 1D Mark III, 500mm, f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 1600, +2/3 EC, fill flash, tripod

Lorant Voros
07-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Doug,

Indeed it is very nice with the fill flash. Fantastic bird....I still need to see it in life. Composition isn't easy with this long tail, but it worked out well with the bird looking over to the right side. Congratulations.

Ashutosh Sinha
07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Beautifula image of a beautiful bird. Brings back memories of my Costa Rica birding trip. Where was this photo made Savegre or Monte Verde ?

Rohan Kamath
07-28-2009, 12:09 PM
wow...this in indeed one of the most beautiful birds i have ever seen...I've loved the bird so much that i really can't think of anything else to say about the image except WOW...

Stu Bowie
07-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Excellent exposure on those greens Doug. Nicely framed in the triangle of branches, with a good pose. You certainly got the comp spot on, and would hate to comp this guy in flight. Great sighting, and thanks for sharing.

EdNguyen
07-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Magnificent bird! Wish I had a photo like this in my collection. Exposure looks good despite the low light conditions. I would crop the image to make it narrower so the bird's eye would be in the left third of the image.

DarrenMcKenna
07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
What a wonderful bird and real good use of fill. The BG is a tad on the busy side but I suppose you take what you get in the jungle.

David Roach
07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
That is one aptly named beauty!! Love the framing and natural fill flash and that is one loooong feather!

Glenn Bartley
07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Gorgeous specimen and image...

Ramon M. Casares
07-28-2009, 08:05 PM
You just couldn't have gotten a btter BG for this bird. Also a great, GREAT pose, lovely ambient and terrific light.
Congratulations.

Ilija Dukovski
07-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Ha, you've got it, with all of the tail in all its glory, must love it.
Great green color, great pose, excellent bird.

Kiran Poonacha
07-29-2009, 05:37 AM
All my focus is on this spectacular bird Dave.. My best wishes to your workshop, hope to attend one someday. Thanks for sharing.

Krijn Trimbos
07-29-2009, 05:49 AM
I also think this is the most beautiful bird in the world and would be thrilled to photograph it. Excellent colours, setting (with the berries!!), sharpness, BG and headturn. I do like the framing like this, but it would be interesting to see this with a bit more room on top and the right just for reference? Great use of FF BTW!

Juan Aragonés
07-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Hey Doug this is a keeper for sure ;-)
Composition is very good with enough room at the right for the berries, the head turn, eye contact and back view are really interesting and love the Bg. I enjoyed this birds in Monteverde several years ago and this image bring back very nice memories to me :-)

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey Doug this is a keeper for sure ;-)
Composition is very good with enough room at the right for the berries, the head turn, eye contact and back view are really interesting and love the Bg. I enjoyed this birds in Monteverde several years ago and this image bring back very nice memories to me :-)
Hola Juan!
I just want to say that those are not berries, they are ''aguacatillos'' (Ocotea spp) (Lauraceae) as we call them since they resemble little avocados. :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Beautiful image Doug, you certainly got a great image of this cloud forest jewel.

Dan Brown
07-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Great image Doug! I was there and I wish that I was going back down there with you and Greg!! Such a great trip!!

sree.kumar.h
08-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Amazing image of an amazing bird. A lifer for me. Like the way you composed this with the berries in the frame.