PDA

View Full Version : Morning Clouds

Mark Fuge
07-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Canon EOS 5D – EF35-350/3.5-5.6L USM @ 50.0 mm - 1/6400Sec. @ f/8.0 - ISO Speed 1000 - Metering Modes Spot - Exposure Compensation -2/3 - 7/28/2009 08:40:44

Shot this this morning from back lanai. I was watching the clouds form and saw this one open up with the lighting of the center. Grabbed the camera and gave it a snap. PP cropping out the roofs of the homes across the lake and for position of the image and slight contrast adjustment.

Sometimes images are found close to home. Going around the world for common pictures is not always necessary.

David Kennedy
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi, Mark
I think you did a great job isolating an interesting interplay between dark and light-colored clouds. A technical note would be to watch for dust spots (towards the upper left-hand corner). I love how the angles of the clouds go into the upper right and lower right-hand corners. I wouldn't mind a crop from the left to achieve a 45-degree angle from the lighter cloud into the upper left-hand corner.
An aside: I think there might be an issue with the way you prepared this image for BPN, as it looks a bit posterized. I wonder if you accidentally upscaled a version that you had first downscaled from the original?

Mark Fuge
07-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks David,

I missed the "rabbit"! :(

No, I just cropped it, no image resizing, other than mandated for posting as JPG.

Thanks again.

Julie Kenward
07-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Nicely seen, Mark. It's not that easy finding a good comp on a group of clouds but I think you found one here. I, too, love the light/dark play and wondered if you had tried this as a black and white yet?

Mark Fuge
07-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Nicely seen, Mark. It's not that easy finding a good comp on a group of clouds but I think you found one here. I, too, love the light/dark play and wondered if you had tried this as a black and white yet?

I"ve just started shooting the clouds down here. Got interested in a tutorial of PS that we bought. It seems like we get these daily and I found yesterday was a good cloud day.

No, I haven't converted it yet. Will give it a try. Just liked the contrast of the light an dark areas and the shape of the opening. Today is just overcast, so will have to wait and see when we get some more good ones to shoot.

Thanks for the comment. Appreciate it. ;)

Mark Fuge
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Here is a repost with the cropping suggestions and "bunny" removed, as well as a B&W conversion of the scene.

Robert Amoruso
07-29-2009, 10:48 PM
I like the new crops Mark and the B&W especially. Clouds, IMO when mostly monochromatic (such as after sunrise and before sunset) are best rendered in B&W.

Julie Kenward
07-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Love that black and white, Mark! Very dramatic and it really shows off the best parts of the image.

Dave Mills
07-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi Mark, Agree with Julie regarding the B&W. I feel it's the stronger of the 2 images

Cindy Cone
07-31-2009, 04:09 PM
I really like both reposts, Mark. I'd be hard-pressed to choose between the two. Well seen.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi Mark,
I see what David is talking about as it doesn't seem quite sharp. I do like the B&W version better also but nice job seeing the contrast of tones and patterns.

Mark Fuge
08-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks appreciate the comments. Just one of those images that has to be taken when found. We've been having very beautiful clouds the last few weeks, now that we're in the rainy season down here. Prefer these to Hurricane clouds!