PDA

View Full Version : Experiment: Backlighting w/ White and Black Backgrounds

Ed Vatza
07-28-2009, 05:51 AM
As I said to Jules recently, some folks like vanilla (high key/white) backgrounds. I don't. And some folks like chocolate (dark/black backgrounds). I do. So what the heck am I doing messing around with a high key image. Because it's there and I like to experiment.

I have no idea if this is good or not because I can't get past my dislike the technique to objectively look at the image. So I'll let you all be the judge.

30D; 150mm macro; 430 EX Flash; tripod; McClamp

1/250 sec @ f/18, ISO 200, 0 EV; FEC -1 (I used flash with the backlight to highlight the color in the flower).

By the way, does anyone know what this flower is?

Ed Vatza
07-28-2009, 05:54 AM
And for you chocolate lovers.

1/25 sec @ f/18; ISO 200; -2/3 EV; FEC -1

Julie Kenward
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
I definitely like the white over the black in this case but I am not loving the harsh lighting in either. In the top image the flower almost looks underexposed; in the lower image it looks harsh and overblown in places. I think I prefer these "vanilla" portraits with soft light or softer colors. Does that make sense?

Ed Vatza
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I definitely like the white over the black in this case

HOW COULD YOU!!!! :eek::eek::D:D

Yes the light is harsh. I was playing with backlight. The white background is really the bright sky. Against that background, I expected the flower to be underexposed to the point of being a silhouette. So I added some flash from the front to highlight some color.

As I said in the title, I was in an experimenting mood yesterday and I was messing with backlighting in a way I really had never done before - at least not on purpose! ;)

Anita Bower
08-03-2009, 04:09 AM
I like both chocolate and vanilla. The white BG image needs a bit more exposure on the flower itself. The black BG is a bit too bright. In both, I like the composition and how the flower comes in at an angle. I'm impressed that you took these photos outside. When I'm using white BG, I do so indoors. I don't know what this lovely little flower is. Keep experiimenting!!!