PDA

View Full Version : Big Water!

Kerry Perkins
07-28-2009, 12:20 AM
At least by California standards! I couldn't make it to the beach on Friday, when the waves were peaking at 20 feet, but Saturday I got down there to catch some of the 15-foot sets! A tropical storm was sending some big water our way... :eek: This is the beach at Sycamore Cove, "north of Malibu". Shot just as the sun was setting, I decided to leave the magenta light intact.

Chris Hansen
07-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Kerry that's some surf. Wow! We got some of the leftovers here up north and they were only running 6-8 feet. I like how you included the person for some perspective as to just how big they really are.

God bless,

chris

Jay Gould
07-28-2009, 01:02 AM
hi Kerry, in my "youth" spent a lot of time there in the water. Did you shoot any blurred? I am looking forward to shooting surf shots with the vari-nd when it arrives. Now all I have to do with find some serious surf.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-28-2009, 02:54 AM
HI Kerry,
Are you anywhere near Mavericks? My fave big wave rider drowned there years ago. He was Mark Foo. A legend. Apparently his leggie got caught in rocks underwater. Man, I've surfed some scary waves on Australia's east coast in my younger days. I shake my head in disbelief when I recall some adventures. Like the solo session at Sydney Harbour's south head in a huge cyclone swell. Idiot.

Jay, go to Noosa when a cyclone comes south far enough south. Although, I think by the time our cyclone season hits, you will be in South America! Do some google search for good big wave spots down there. I am sure heaps abound, especially towards the south that is exposed to the ferocity of the southern oceans. :)

Gus Cobos
07-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Hi Kerry,
This is beautiful, love those waves...wish I was there...thanks for sharing...:cool:

Alfred Forns
07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Awesome sight Kerry !!!!

... Akos is Mavericks the place that has the giant waves? I've seen video of people being towed behind a jet sky to catch the waves !!! Not sure but they were 100 footers?

stuart wanuck
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
nice water has to be little cold for someone standing there.like the wide view nice image

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Awesome sight Kerry !!!!

... Akos is Mavericks the place that has the giant waves? I've seen video of people being towed behind a jet sky to catch the waves !!! Not sure but they were 100 footers?

Here are some Mavericks Wipeouts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn4x_osHmvA)

I don't think so Al. I think you may be thinking Jaws off the coast off Maui. That place is freakin' insane!!!! I mean INSANE! Watch THIS video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h3sPV9l_2c)of JAWS. I think that is Laird Hamilton. The guy is a FREAK!!!! They have foot straps on their boards. You can't afford to wipe out. It can really kill you.

There is also Teahupo (say Choo-poe) in Tahiti that is as crazy! Some tow-in psycho surfing HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaXzYNbWP0Y). That is beyond my insanity! About 41 seconds in you can see the water suck below the reef level. It is nuts!

Kerry Perkins
07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Ákos, Mavericks is further up the coast by Half Moon Bay, north of San Francisco. There are some truly giant waves up there and people have been killed, as I'm sure you know!

Jackie Schuknecht
07-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Serious Waves Kerry. Not sure why the little guy is in the water????

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
The little guy's perfectly safe Jackie. He's right on the sand there. :)

Kerry Perkins
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
He's ok as long as he doesn't go much farther into the water! When the big rollers come in, they go out pretty hard too and the rip tides can be treacherous!