PDA

View Full Version : Red Headed Barbet (Male)

Wyatt Olson
01-02-2008, 03:30 AM
This is my first post, all the images on this site are incredible, truly remarkable work. I'm only 16 years old so I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

This is a male Red Headed Barbet that I shot in Costa Rica this summer.

Canon Rebel XT
300mm F/4L IS USM

1/200 s at f/4
AI Focus, Evaluative Metering
ISO 400
Flash at -1 w/better beamer

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii70/wyattolsonphoto/RedHeadedBarbet.jpg

Thanks,
Wyatt Olson

www.wyattolsonphoto.com

Jay Tan
01-02-2008, 03:45 AM
Nice clean image Wyatt. I would increase the depth of field by shooting at around f/8 to get the whole bird in focus rather than just the head and neck. But that's probably my personal preference. :)

Lana Hays
01-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Welcome, Wyatt
You're off to a good start and I think you will learn a lot here. I agree with the DOF (depth of field) as I, too like to have as much of the bird in focus as possible. The simple perch and nice BG are good as they allow the viewer to concentrate on the gorgeous colors of the bird.......but always look for other possibilities. I don't know if you use a tripod or not....but if you don't, I'd invest in one as the stability will definitely improve the sharpness.

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Hello and Welcome.

I wish I had that talent when I was 16 :). The composition and pose works for me. However, I do wish to see the bird a little sharper and perhaps remove the little stick in the BG, but that will be it.

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I Could not say it any better than Maxis !!!!! ..... great talent at 16 .... is only going to get better !!!!

Agree with suggestions and might add a small bird in frame usually looks best in one of the corners This I would place on the lower left !!!

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Big welcome Wyatt,
Is this a free bird?

You may have wanted to post it in the Wild and Free Gallery, or of you are shy, in the Eager to Learn.

Good advise given to you by others, big welcome!!!

Jim Neiger
01-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi Wyatt,

I'm assuming this is a captive bird since I don't see anything man made in the image. Some details about this would be nice. I would also like to know if you were using a tripod or shooting hand held. You have a beautiful little bird here on a nice perch with a nice clean bg. Increasing your ISO would have allowed you to close down a bit to get more DOF. Another thing to try is to wait for the bird to position itself so that it's visible parts are all in the same plane thus reducing the need for DOF.

Wyatt Olson
01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Sorry about that, this is a wild bird, I musn't have been paying attention to what forum I was in when I posted it. Thanks a lot for all of your comments and suggestions, its really helpful. I would have tried to maximize depth of field but the porch I was shooting from was simply to small for it. Also, I was still learning the nuances of shooting at telephoto focal lengths, this was my first real life shot at it.

Thanks,

Wyatt Olson

Jim Neiger
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Wyatt,

I relocated this thread to the Avian Wild and Free Birds forum.