PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierras in IR

Steve Bein
02-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I have not done the blue substitution yet with this, but will probably do so soon. The sky is to die for in IR, as usual. I think this should have been in panoramics since it is a stitched panoramic instaed of a single landscape image. My error. the straight IR image was painted with the saturation brush. 4 images stitched

Steve Bein
02-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Here is the blue reverse selectively applied

Bret Edge
02-07-2008, 02:50 AM
This is really cool, Steve. I think I prefer the second version for the different tones present within the image.

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Moved to Pano Forum.

Robert Amoruso
02-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Steve,

I think our viewing members would like more details on what you did here. I like the second version better too. Composition is nice with the road at the center of the image leading into the distance and with the pano it is really accentuated. I am OK with the hroizon curvature as it gives it the feeling you are on another world.

David Kennedy
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Steve,
I agree that your second version is much stronger, and it's because of the separation you introduced between the sky, the mountain range, and the road. There's some black vertical line on the right-most edge of your image that should be cropped out. I might also consider reigning in the left side of the image. If you go from right to left (a little different, but humor me), the as you go beyond the road, you read a point of diminishing returns.

Steve Bein
02-07-2008, 03:28 PM
The blue exchange is done in a lot of IR images. Simply do what you want to the image, then go to Image-adjust-channel mixer and switch the red and blue. In red take the red to zero and blue to 100, go to blue, make red 100 and blue zero.
use layers of the blue change over the original, and selectively erase the areas you want. I did 100% for the sky and erased at about 20% for the foreground, leaving the road as full blue exchange. Hope that explains it.
On the mountains, after getting what I wanted I took the burn tool and made them darker to compensate for haze loss of detail. .

David,
for panoramic composition, i should have lowered my point of view and used the edge of the road coming out of the ll corner to lead into the image. I was so enamored with the sky and mountains, that I did not think of that at the time. Thanks for reminding me. I will do it next time.

Steve Bein
05-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Shot from the roadway. Next time, I will shoot from the other side of the road and make it work a bit more in the image. I cropped a bit off the left. I could have shot lower and made the road come from the ll corner, but did not at the time. i was more concerned in getting the image from Hwy 295 and getting out of traffic.

David Kennedy
05-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Moderator's note: Thread merged with previous posting.

David Kennedy
05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Steve,
I definitely prefer this edit over the older versions. However, the black vertical line on the LRH side is still distracting. Also, I wonder if the image wouldn't be stronger with a tad more density--perhaps making the road a little darker/blacker would help to "ground" the image a bit?

Robert Amoruso
05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Yes, I am liking this version a lot more too. Agree with David on the small vertical line.

Duke Beattie
05-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Love the 1st..... I really like the sky. I don't like the 2nd version at all..... Looks (to me) like a bad HDR try... I am sure that not the case, but.......
Since I am partial to b&w I like the 3rd. If you could get the same look in the sky and darken the road that would be the one....:)
P.S. I noticed my 'post count' is one...... I haven't posted here alot, but it's more than one........

Gus Cobos
05-28-2008, 08:13 PM
I like it Steve...I like the first image...COOL...:cool: It gives you a feeling of endless space...:eek: