Jeff Cashdollar
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Canon 40D & 100 - 400MM
EV=0
1/60
f/13
HH
ISO=200
Exposure was manual, I decided the effect I wanted, set the shutter to slow the water and set aperture to assist and dialed it in.

LRII--->CS4

I spend several days with Chas, this was one of the shots from NC.

Alfred Forns
07-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I like it a lot Jeff !!!

I think the tendency for most of these is going real slow with the shutter speed and like you choice of speed, enough blurring to make interesting with plenty of detail !!

Composition works fine and would only crop a little for the top to minimize the dark void on the upper left. Great feel and like it a lot !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
07-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Al,

Thanks, I thought about a small hair cut on top. Now that you mention, that would improve the picture. Great time with Chas, spent time on spot, sunny 16, incident metering and of course flash city. He really knows flash!!

We hit the local state parks, did not see many birds but leveraged other opportunities to practice exposure and flash methods. I spend hours practicing flash (manual) on folks fly-fishing, they did not mind. It was a beautiful day.

Alfred Forns
07-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Jeff Hope you did not use a high shutter speed on the people casting ... if you use the minimum to have the person sharp the line will look thicker and real fast shutter speeds tends to made the line invisible !!

OvidiuCavasdan
07-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Like the feeling on this image, almost hear the water. We have some hot days here so this image is welcome.
Very nice one!

Lance Peters
07-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Hi - agree with AL - A slower shutter speed here would have added that cotton Candy effect to the water.
Good show - keep them coming

Gus Cobos
07-28-2009, 05:17 AM
A slower shutter speed for a cotton candy look would improve this capture Jeff, I like the composition and framing...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
07-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I like the combination of blurring and retention of detail, as Al mentioned. Slower speed would have created a great look as well.

Harold Davis
07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
doing a screen crop, it does look better without that black void. nice job on this one, jeff. it looks cool and inviting!!

Jeff Cashdollar
07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks Harold, This was a tough one, I like it both ways but see your point, the majority of feedback supports you view - thanks for the feedback.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Next tome I will try a slower shutter as well to get that cotton-candy look too.