PDA

View Full Version : Waiting with open arms

Steve Maxson
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
This Goldenrod Crab Spider is waiting patiently on an Oxeye Daisy for a fly, bee, wasp, butterfly, etc. to join it for dinner. :) These spiders can change color from white to yellow to light green depending on the color of the plant they are hunting on. 40D, Canon 180 f/3.5 macro, 1/20, f/22, ISO 320, tripod, cable release, macro twin flash set at 1/8 power. Comments are welcome.

Julie Kenward
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
This is really outstanding, Steve. Big bonus with his legs up and pollen on the ends! Wow! The only thing I can think of to suggest on this is possibly a little CCW rotation to put him dead center/top but it sure isn't bothering me the way it is.

Lovely image. For...you know. A spider. :eek:;):eek:

Fabs Forns
07-27-2009, 09:47 PM
This is adorable, Steve, the tiny creature is really feasting on that pollen. Great whites and top behavior.

Alfred Forns
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Impressive image Steve Would have a sensory overload if I ran into one !!!

Love the smooth natural lighting and fine detail !!! Big Congrats !!!

Markus Jais
07-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Awesome shot. I like the central composition, the round and yellow flower and the raised legs of the spider. Really fantastic.

Markus

Grace Scalzo
07-28-2009, 06:52 AM
This is really cool, full of interest with the spider and all that pollen. I like the way you lit it. Well seen, well executed.

Connie Mier
07-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Everyone said it, what a fantastic shot of a stunning spider. The angle is just great, like you are intruding on its mealtime.

Steve Maxson
07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I thought I would clarify some of the biology for folks who are not familiar with this species. Although it certainly looks like the spider is eating pollen in this image, they are strictly predatory. They typically sit motionless at the edge of a flower, blending in with their camo colors, with their front legs extended as shown in the photo. When an unsuspecting insect lands on the flower to get nectar or pollen and gets close enough, the spider pounces - and dinner is served. :) These spiders can successfully tackle insects even larger than themselves.

Bob Allen
08-02-2009, 10:25 AM
To me, the biggest plus is that the eyes are in focus and have highlights. I would've liked a touch more DOF to bring the foremost legs into focus. I've never noticed them to have pollen on the chelicerae like this.