PDA

View Full Version : Shooting from boats?

Randy Stout
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Good day all:

I have done some shooting from pontoon boats (Hooptie Deux :), and my row boat, but have taken the plunge and bought a Lund 16ft fishing boat. It has flat floors, and wide gunwales. There certainly is room to set up the tripod, but since I will often shoot alone, and will have to mind the boat chores, I was thinking that a firmly attached mount for the Wimberly to the gunwale would be an interesting option.

I can figure out the mechanics easily enough, but am curious about peoples experiences with vibration issues and movement of the boat. The vast majority of time I would be using a trolling motor while shooting, so not a lot of engine vibration, but some.

Shooting hand held probably is an option, but again, I would have to be setting the rig down a lot to drive I would think.

I have a Blubb, and it would fit on the gunwales just fine, but when doing a lot of panning, I have found the Wimberly works better for me.

By the way, the boats name is : Loonatic ! :)

Thanks

Randy

Ed Cordes
07-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey "Loonatic" I love the name. I don't have experience with what you are asking, but I had to comment on the great name! My guess is that a permanent mount with Wimberly is a good thing. I seems that with a quick release you could switch to HH easily enough. RE the trolling motor is electric better?

Mike Tracy
07-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Although I shoot hand held most of the time I have the new Apex bean bag which Chas helped develop aboard my pontoon boat.

I haven't used it enough to give you it a resounding review but it is well made. I just leave it plopped over the windscreen and use it for static images.

It does come equipped with straps with those little interlocking things to secure it to a rail, seat, etc.

Might be an option that will work for you. http://www.essentialphotogear.com/proddetail.php?prod=ApexBeanBag

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
I can't help Randy, but I LOVE the name of your boat! It rocks! :D

Richard Sleeman
07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
The use of a beanbag like the Apex (with a built in stud for mounting the Wimberley?), is intriquing. I'm wondering about weight distribution, in other words, unbalancing the boat. Optimally, it is best to be as low in the boat as one can be.....would the BB mounted on one of the gunwales be cumbersome?
I know there is no perfect solution......the use of tripod still seems the most sturdy and balanced.

Richard

Randy Stout
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Mike and Richard:

That is a very interesting product Mike. I can see how it would be very useful, flexible in regard to location on the boat, etc. For people who just had to photograph, and could watch/hold onto their rig at all times, I think it would be slick. For me, most the time I will be piloting as well, so I need something that will be safe/stable even when I am not holding it, and moving around the boat.

I will probably start out with my gitzo, legs widely splayed, with my spare mushroom anchor hanging from the hook on a bungee cord to stabilze it. I can get down almost to the gunwale with this rig.

I am probably going to get an extra seat, cut off the post so it is only a couple of inches above the floor, so I can sit comfortably, but get pretty low. Having spent 2 hours laying on my belly shooting off a pontoon boat, I will appreciate a bit more comfort, while maintaining a low shooting angle.

Great fun!

Randy

Walker Golder
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I've shot a little from my boat (18' Hewes) and found it most stable is when the bow is grounded. Otherwise, the rock of the boat makes it difficult to keep the image framed and sharp. Every little movement is greatly exaggerated. You can do it, but you have to be very still in the boat and have no surface chop.

Charles Glatzer
07-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Appreciate the comments on the bean bag....but....

You are best to handhold the lens, unless the water is very calm!

Best,

Chas

Jim Neiger
07-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I agree with the comment made by Chas. Any movement by you, others in the boat, the water, or the wind will make a camera support more of a liability than an aid to photography. You are almost always better of hand holding in a boat.

James Shadle
07-28-2009, 09:18 PM
I love the Blubb and a "Shadle Slider".
I've used it on the Gunwale and on seat posts etc.

I'll photograph the "Shadle Slider" and post it.

The Blubb is the BEST non-tripod camera support I have used.

I have no problem photographing from a camera support on my boat.
Artie has tack sharp images from the original "Hooptie"(much smaller than Deux) using a 600mm with a 2X.

Learning how to adjust your weight makes a big difference.

Most of my photography from a boat is in the Bay, Intercoastal or Gulf.
I have(so does Jimmy) more than the usual experience(IMO)shooting from boats.
If it is rough out, trying to use a camera support will drive you crazy.

James Shadle
07-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Here is the Shadle Slider.

The base is Starboard, with a Bogen leveling base. Fits in the back of my vest, it's quite, lite and won't rot.

This is the perfect setup to shoot low angle images from your casting deck.
The Slider is long and wide enough to support the lens without additional support(the photographer).

I use it on top of the BLUBB when shooting from the gunwales.

When using this combo on the gunwales, I use a heavier mix in my BLUBB, rice works the best.
Load the BLUBB so that one side is heavier than the other, make sure the heavier side is on the inside of the boat. I use heavy Velcro straps to secure the Shadle Slider to the BLUBB.

The nice thing about the Bogen leveling base on the Shadle Slider/BLUBB combo is it's low center of gravity.

Randy Stout
07-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks James:

Pretty neat idea. I have a friend near by who is a machinist, and he like little challenges like this, so we are going to work up a few options. Nice to see all the ideas out there.

I was worried about dropping the rig in the drink, so was going to figure out a way to really secure it to the gunwale.

I will post some pictures of my progress.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Coatney
07-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Is the trolling motor tiller operated? You may wish to look into a foot operated trolling motor like the bass fishermen use-- The Lund is a semi vee which makes it a just a bit more problematic than the traditional jon boat but for hands free use-- you can't beat the foot operated type of trolling motors

Connie Mier
07-31-2009, 12:39 PM
They have remote controls as well for trolling motors, just another option.

Jim Neiger
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
They have remote controls as well for trolling motors, just another option.

I use a wireless remote control on my wrist like a watch. It controls my bow mounted electric trolling motor. It's my favorite part of the boat and allows me to position the boat precisely and silently.

Randy Stout
08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone.

I have a foot controlled, bow mounted Minn Kota, and am considering upgrading to the remote control (copilot) mentioned by Jim, and maybe autopilot as well, which will hold a set course despite wind/wave action.

I was working on mounts yesterday, and will post some pictures after I get a working prototype. I usually do several versions of things to tweak them. So, Mk. 1 is almost ready, will shoot with it for a while, then Mk. 2 ,etc. as needed.

Thanks!

Randy

Charles Glatzer
08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
When shooting loons we have two remote trolling motors each mounted fore and aft ;) We can position and maintain, speed, etc the boat in any position desired.

Best,

Chas

Michael Bertelsen
08-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Randy,

I have a 17 foot Tracker grizzly that I use for My Moose and Loon Tours.
The grizzly is a shallow V and is very wide so it is nice and stable.
My guests and I use monopods its easy and fast to move around.
Everything else is to difficult to move around quikly .
I have swivel chairs and that helps too.
One transom trolling motor, but I like the idea of one in the bow too.
I also have anchors on pulleys mounted on both ends of the boat to stop it from swinging in the wind when we are photographing moose. The grizzly is also a very cool mossy green so I feel like a navy seal driving it.:cool:

Michael
www.algonquinparkphototours.com

Randy Stout
08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the input Michael:

I will post a couple of pictures of my latest configuration. It borrows bits and pieces from many of the recommendations, and I appreciate it!

Randy

James Shadle
08-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Randy,
Did you see the anchor "pins" I use?
Great way to stay - in one place. One on the bow and one astern.
James

Randy Stout
08-07-2009, 06:59 AM
James:

Yes, I even stuck a few of them in myself while out on the Hooptie and thought they were pretty cool. Most of my shooting will be in shallow water, so they might work well. Where might I find them?

Randy

Michael Bertelsen
08-08-2009, 06:26 AM
James,

Do you have a picture of those anchor pins?
I would really like to see them.
Mine make to much noise when I lower it.

Thanks,

Michael