PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinch

Tell Dickinson
07-27-2009, 12:58 PM
http://www.wildlifewonders.co.uk/photo/albums/userpics/bpn-goldfinch.jpg

Such a difficult bird to get detail in its face and keep the whites.

Canon 50D, 500mm, f8, 1/800, iso400

All comments good or bad appreciated.

Tell

David Roach
07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Spot on EXP and DOF. LOve the color, details and the painterly BG. Congrats!!

Stu Bowie
07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
It wasnt too difficult to get the exposure spot on in this Tell. You certainly nailed it. Quite a colourful little guy,sharp, and I like the light in this. The two darker areas behing him in the BG are a bit distracting.

Aidan Briggs
07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice light, EXP, and HA. I would prefer a slightly smaller perch. Also the whites on the beak look toasted, I'm not sure if you could recover those in ACR or not.

Keep them coming!

Glenda Simmons
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
What a neat looking bird...always a treat to see birds on this site that I would otherwise not have a chance to see. The background and the pose are nice. The larger, right lower side of the perch does draw my eye away from the bird, but it is .

stuart wanuck
07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
nice image good position,nice catch light congrats!

Phil Ertel
07-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Nice pose that shows off the bird well. I agree with David that the background has a painted feel to it and is nice )if it were mine I would try and lighten the dark spot just behind the bird). The exposure does look good as I see good details throughout. Thanks for sharing.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Great exposure Tell. Love the pose too, wish the broken branch were not there. I would crop just a little more above and below. Well done mate. :)

Rich Steel
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi Tell

I currently have about 10 of these coming in to the back garden and will get round to doing some more photos of them soon before they start moulting. Exposure can be tricky on them not only with the black and white heads but also for the bright yellow of the wings. Looks a sharp and well exposed photo, also a good DOF used for a small bird at close range. The slightly distracting dark area on the background could easily be taken away by modifying the perch position but I do like the complimentary colours of the background. If you can find a nice thin lichen covered branch they look very good on this as they do on some teasel heads.

Cheers

Rich

Bill Foxworthy
07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Beautiful colored blushing bird you have captured nicely Tell. Love it but wish the dark over the back tail was not there.

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Exposure handled very well, Tell. The perch is what it is.

Ramon M. Casares
07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Nice pose, detail, species, and colors.
On my monitor the bill and the yellows look hot, I would go back to the RAE file and try to recover them.
BG could be improved, specially the dark area behind the bird.
Light is nice but its anlge is not ideal IMO, probably fill flash would've hleped here.
Perch is nice too but the broken branch in the LRC is not very nice IMO.
Congratulaitons!

Simon Bennett
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Lovel image, lovely bird - I like pose, cripsness and exposure control.

Kiran Poonacha
07-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Beautiful setting here, loved the colours and pose.. would slightly darken the BG.. congrats...

Chris Kotze
07-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Super colours and a great looking bird.

sree.kumar.h
08-02-2009, 11:12 PM
The colours of the birds have been captured well. IMHO the image brightness can be toned down a bit. Doing away with a bit of the thick perch on the right bottom could add to the composition.