PDA

View Full Version : Noise reduction - Applying to specific parts

Rob Smith
07-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Of a picture.
I am being told that noise reduction can be applied to a particular part of the picture such as the background. Just wondering if someone could tell me whether I need a specific program for this or will any of the programs on the net do this job. Thanks in advance

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Rob
You can use Noise Ninja, Neat Image or perhaps other software. There are perhaps others around but I don't know of them.

Mark Hopgood
07-27-2009, 01:13 AM
I do this with Noise Ninja on a regular basis. My method is once all cloning etc has been done then I duplicate that layer, apply NN with appropriate settings for the area I wish to reduce noise in then use a mask to brush out those areas I don't want NN to affect. I tend to use PS's layer mask rather than the one within the program.

Simon Bennett
07-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Rob

This may help you: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23825

Simon

Rob Smith
07-27-2009, 05:13 AM
Arkos, Mark & Simon, Thanks for the info. That thread you referred to Simon is great. Now the learning curve begins again:eek:

Jim Neiger
07-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I just select the area I want to apply NR to and then use the noise filter in PS.

Grace Scalzo
07-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I do what Jim does. Often, I select my subject with magic wand, use refine edge to expand my selection a bit so that the filter doesn't affect my subject, then select the inverse (background) and apply the noise reduction filter in cs3 at whatever strength is necessary. Simple, but works pretty well.

Kerry Perkins
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Rob, just another note - the Quick Mask function can be very useful for selecting areas to apply any effect to.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I am not sure about CS2, but CS3 and CS4 have good built-in NR tools. Which do you have Rob? From memory you have CS3?

Also, quick masks are very easy to use once you familiarize yourself with the handling of the tool. Go for it. :)

Jay Gould
07-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi, one of our esteem Moderators :D, Peter Kes ;), has done a wonderful tutorial on Removing Noise. It is found in his blog at http://www.naturenotions.net/

I think it is good enough to be a BPN Tutorial and added to the ER.

PS: if you dig a little deeper in Peter's blog, he has also done a good summary of Artie's approach to exposure/EC.
<o>
</o>

Bill McCrystyn
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I guess my vote goes with Jim and Grace. I am sure NN works well too. Guess I don't see the big deal. BG noise has never been that much of a problem. Are you incurring some special problems that can't be handled with proper isolation and CS3?

Rob Smith
07-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks everyone. Some great ideas here. Am using CS4 but have never been one to worry too much about noise. Have recently received some thoughts on posting about noise so thought I would investigate further. Thanks Jay also for the link tp Peters thread. Looking forward to exploring as I took some shots recently @ 6400 ISO on the 5d Mk11 & although it was good I would like to see how adjystments work

Nancy A Elwood
07-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Rob I use the Nik Software, Define 2.0, for noise reduction. It is a plug in for Photoshop and makes it very easy to apply globally or selectively without even knowing masks and layer, etc.

Rob Smith
07-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Rob I use the Nik Software, Define 2.0, for noise reduction. It is a plug in for Photoshop and makes it very easy to apply globally or selectively without even knowing masks and layer, etc.
Thanks Nancy, really appreciated