PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rican Emerald

Raul Quinones
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Another endemic from my homeland.

Landed so close to me that I had to move back because it was inside the min. focal distance of the lens.
I had very little light since the sun had not clear the mountain range in front the hotel where I was staying.
Not crazy about the background and wish for better light, but this is one of the two target species for this trip... lets hope I have a better chance next time.
I was tempted to boost the contrast, but I normally overdue it, so I am holding back.

tech info:
40D, EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x, 580EX + BB, tripod
Date/ Time: 7/9/2009 06:57:57
1/80, 5.6, ISO 800, 700mm
Neat Image use for noise reduction
Small crop

C/C are always welcome.
Raul

Randy Stout
07-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Raul:

Lovely fellow, with a challenging BG, as you pointed out. I tried a few tweaks on it, and although I could improve it, was not completely happy with it.
The bird has a nice pose, Ha. I might try it without the tiny round catchlight, since you have such a nice horizon catchlight, but that is just personal taste. I might also recommend another round of USM on the head and eye. The body seems OK as is re: sharpness, and the overall contrast is good. Glad you got one of your target species.

Randy

Ramon M. Casares
07-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Agree with Randy here about the round catchlight, a TAD more contrast and more saturation might help this one and also, IMO, to tone down the leaf in the back could improve that BG.
Nice species, pose and detail though.
Congratulaitons!

Stu Bowie
07-27-2009, 04:07 AM
I like the green iridescence on him, and what a super pose. I would selectively sharpen around the head, and tone down the leaf in the BG.

Erich Stevens
07-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Love the inquisitive look. Definitely tone down that leaf BG if you can.

Glenda Simmons
07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I have limited PP skills, but looks like others have given good suggestions for the distracting background. The bird is a beauty and you showed off his feathers well. Wish you luck on seeing more of them.

Raul Quinones
07-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks all for recommendations.
This is a strectch of my PS skills, I went the lazy route and re-worked the jpeg... let me know what version you like best.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Raul
I like the repost much more. I prefer to sharpen more around the head though as it kind of seems that critical sharpness is on the wing more than the head. Is that a possibility?

If Artie sees that you reworked the jpeg and not the master file he will give you an e-kick in the ***! ;)

thanks for sharing