PDA

View Full Version : composition help needed

Rene Quenneville
07-26-2009, 07:01 PM
This picture taken at Plimouth State University in NH, is my first attempt to take picture with a super wide angle lens. It is quite a challenge for me to compose with such lens. I like it but find it difficult to previsualize the end result. I did not know how to position the camera in order to amximize the leading line of the path while minimizing the perspective distortion. Please chip-in and give me your honnest feedback and advise on this composition/camera placement.

This is an HDR (5 exposures)

1/80s (+/- 2EV)
f/16
Iso 200
14mm
Nikon D200

Dave Mills
07-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Rene, I think you did a nice job with your first SW angle attempt. Your center of interest is the statue which you captured nicely. I also like how you included the end of the stone bench. Very little distortion in the image other than a slight lean of the building behind the statue. You have enough of the path so it can lead you to the backround.You could of easily merged the light with the statue but to your positioning...did not. F/16 was apparently enough DOF to give you sharpness thoughout. For this type of image I feel you handled it nicely. When you get a chance post some scenics using this lense and we can go further..,

Jackie Schuknecht
07-26-2009, 08:04 PM
I think it is very good Rene. I like the nice low angle, sharpness, and colours. If there is a weak point, I would say that I find the lamp post a little distracting. Otherwise I think you did a very nice job.

Rene Quenneville
07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
When I saw the lamp post, I first tried to hide it behind. It made me lose the furthest eye on the statue which was less pleasing of a comp.

Alfred Forns
07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Rene

Agree with points and can suggest distortion is something that will happen with these lenses, with your set up is closer to 21 effective which is still wide !!

Best approach is to get close and fill you frame like you did. Always try low and don't even have to look through the viewfinder ... lower the camera and check !!! Dof wise you don't have to stop down that much since they have a generous dof !! one other point you will find is better saturation .. some look like you had a polarizer !!!

Lance Peters
07-27-2009, 02:32 AM
HI Rene - I like it - good show. Agree with the comments above - colour and sharpness is on the money.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Gail Spitler
07-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi Rene
Lots of good suggestions above. I can offer a few thoughts about the composition based upon my own taste. Just before that, I like the image as is very much. I think the technicals are well done.

When I look at the image two things pop up. First the building in the far distance to which you eye is finally drawn really doesn't have much visual interest. When looking at the image my eye begins at the statue which is intriguing, complex and well captured. Then I move back to the light post and banner - again interesting with strong lines. Now as I move back there is nothing to grab me; I only get partial glimpses of what seems to be a pretty standard campus building.
The second thing is the person sitting on the bench to the right of the statue. I can't decide if that area helps or hinders the overall composition. Maybe both??? It did make me wonder if there was a image with the statue in front and the live human at the back - you would have had to move to the left to capture.
Anyway, this is just some ramblings on the image. The statue is quite an appealing subject.
Cheers
Gail

Bob Miller
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi Rene....loved the metallic look to the statue.It captured beautifully. I agree with all tech comments above. I for one find the live person on the bench a bit distracting from the image but that's just me. I would like to see more of the statue perhaps getting even closer

Jeff Cashdollar
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
I like the OP

Gus Cobos
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi Rene,
I like the capture...I would go in even closer and a tad lower on the capture angle, the color rendition is very good...question...did you capture this with the Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED ? :cool:

Rene Quenneville
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
The lens is a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I bought it about 2 monts ago but did not have much time to play with. For what I can see, it is extremely sharp and there is not much light fall off.