PDA

View Full Version : The bassin part 2

Rene Quenneville
07-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is a second image from my trip to NH. This comp wa not easy due to the guard rail surrounding the llokout area. It is an HDR but, as Roman would Say, I should have hused a neutral grad filter on the diagonal upper right corner (I did apply one of 1 stop in Lightroom). On the Tiff the water is not blowned but a slight section of the rock is. I never did put tis image in photoshop, all adjustments done in Photomatix and Lightroom. If you feel that the blowned rock is distracting, I am pretty sure that it can be corrected

Please give me your thoughts on the overall composition. As usual, it is very much appreciated.

ISO 200
11mm
1/20 s
f/20
+/_ 2 stops HDR
Nikon D200 + toKina 11-16 f/2.8

Robert Amoruso
07-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Rene,

SInce my eye went right to the blown out rock I would agree with your assessment on fixing it. This is an interesting look formation but looking at it as a whole I am not sure what is the focal point. I can follow the water flow but it seems just too disjointed to be a good leading line. Also the pool of water reflecting branches in the LR competes for attention.

I am thinking that some closeups or the flow, the rock textures, the small stuff would have served you better here. The railings you mentioned inhibited you from getting a good camera position.

Rene Quenneville
07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Thank you Robert,

I had the same feel about the composition. I did try different angles but with little success. Maybe a step ladder would have given me a nice view from above.

David Kennedy
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi, Rene,
I think this was a difficult situation, and while I like the wide composition, the lighting as well as some sort of man-made wall across the way were hurting you a bit. In this circumstance, I might suggest thinking of a tighter composition using a telephoto, and framing the waterfall itself. Stitched panos are also possibilities in these cases--as long as all of the settings remain the same, waterfalls are so consistent in their movement that they are actually quite good subjects for stitching.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Rene,
I agree with your own assesment and only posted a crop where you may want to concentrate on. I like the way you included the curved wall on the left.....but maybe by moving closer left to it and zooming in a bit????/.....not sure but the crop does show some of the potential in there.