PDA

View Full Version : The composition of 1/3s

Rob Miner
07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
When placeing a full or mostly full frame bird - what part of the bird is most correct to place at a 1/3 junction as a good portion of the bird will fill the middle of the frame?

Thank you for your comments in advance.

Rob...........

Jim Neiger
07-26-2009, 01:49 PM
You may want to try putting the eye in the upper point on the side away from which the bird is facing.

Desmond Chan
07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
But if everybody is following that 1/3 composition rule, if that's rule :D, wouldn't all the bird photos look the same in some way, except perhaps they are of different species? You know, like before you even show it to me, I already know what your photo looks like :D:D

I don't know. It just sometimes I feel it that way :o:o And when I'm glancing over the thumbnails, I can't help notice that some of them - especially those small birds perching shots - do pretty much the look the same in terms of composition except of different species and colors, may be.

By the way, there're "rules" other than the 1/3 one.

Daniel Cadieux
07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Rob, this is a pretty difficult question to answer as there are many factors that can come into play. The type of species is a huge factor...it will be a different body part landing on the 1/3 junction depending if it is a small songbird, large heron or raptor. With a Great-blue Heron, just for example, this will change depending if it is static, or in flight, if it is a full-frame "full body" image or a portrait. Size and type of perch, elements of the surroundings, vertical or horizontal format, even aspect ratio are all factors to consider. Certain differing field marks of otherwise "similar" birds will affect this too...take the log slender bill of a godwit or curlew as opposed to short and stubby bill of a Black-bellied Plover - this will affect which body part lands on the 1/3 junction. Best to take every image individually and decide what is right for them as you post-process them.

As a general "rule" you will want more room in the direction where your subject is looking towards to.

Do you have a specific example that you are not sure about and want advice for? We'd be glad to help out if you are having reservations about how to crop a particular image :-)

Rob Miner
07-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Mostly I have used the eye of the subject to fall at a 1/3s junction. Several times in the critiques I have noticed directions of different sorts being given. All I was trying to do is get a feel of what everyone else is using. I understand that rules of composition can be broken or altered for the benefit picture.
Thank for everybodies imput.

Rob...........

Jay Gould
07-26-2009, 05:53 PM
You may want to try putting the eye in the upper point on the side away from which the bird is facing.

Jim, if I understand what you are saying, assuming the bird was flying/looking from left to right, wouldn't this put the entire body into the left 1/3 of the image, the eye on the upper left corner 1/3 point, and empty/negative space in front of the eye which would be about 2/3 of the entire canvass?

Wouldn't this be very dependent upon the size of the bird?

For example, your magnificent Jabiru - gosh I love that image!, the eye is approximately on the upper 1/3 point on the side the bird is looking to rather than the side away from which the bird is facing.

Jim Neiger
07-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Jim, if I understand what you are saying, assuming the bird was flying/looking from left to right, wouldn't this put the entire body into the left 1/3 of the image, the eye on the upper left corner 1/3 point, and empty/negative space in front of the eye which would be about 2/3 of the entire canvass?

Wouldn't this be very dependent upon the size of the bird?

For example, your magnificent Jabiru - gosh I love that image!, the eye is approximately on the upper 1/3 point on the side the bird is looking to rather than the side away from which the bird is facing.

I was assuming an upright perched bird, but without the photo it's really impossible to know what would be a good comp. That is why I said he MAY want to try.

Ed Cordes
07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Rules are actually guidelines to be considered. However, art is when the rules are considered and another decision is made to enhance the visual impact. Following rules alone, will, indeed, create a lot of "me too" images.

Learn the "rules" but also don't be afraid to experiment with your gut feelings about an image. The best example is when an image just screams to be centered, even though centering is "breaking the rules".

Stephen Feingold
08-08-2009, 07:26 PM
The main objective is to place the subject to attain balance. And several different placements may be effective. The thirds rule is one of several guidelines for attaining a balanced composition. But, you must take into consideration the visual weight of the space around the subject and other objects in the image. The final test is: does it look balanced. That is unless the objective is to denote discord.