PDA

View Full Version : Crested Bunting

Rohan Kamath
07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.indianaturewatch.net/images/album/photo/19149705564a6c66f444d60.jpg

Crested Bunting(Male) shot in Pune, India

Canon 40D
Sigma 70-300 APO
Shot at f/8, ISO-400, 1/800 sec. with +1/3rd exposure compensation.
(Handheld)

Please do let me know how to improve as I have just started photography and am very eager to learn from my mistakes.

Juan Aragonés
07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi Rohan and wellcome on board :-)
This is the first time I see this kind of bunting, very nice species.
The blacks seems to be a bit dark in my monitor so if you can lighten a bit some of the darkest areas that would be great. I would suggest to crop a bit from the top and from the left. The shooting angle is a bit step but I can live with it, of course. Eye contact and sharpness works fine

keep them coming

Daniel Cadieux
07-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Two things come to mind as improvements for this image: 1) A lower angle. Lying flat on your belly would have given you an even more intimate view AND minimized the scattered hay (?) behind the bird by giving you a much smoother (blurred) BG. 2) Fill-flash would have helped with the shadows on the dark plumage. You had the right idea in going + 1/3 on the EC but looks like you needed more. You could try pulling some details in PS, but be sure to deal with the resulting noise if it does creep in.

Very nice looking species, I love the rufous wings and tail on the black body. Very striking. The raised crest looks good too. You could lighten the iris a bit more if you wish. Excellent sharpness and alert pose!

Rohan Kamath
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
@Daniel
>Lying flat on your belly would have given you an even more intimate view
I totally agree with this point. However I made this image by leaning through a gap in a barbed fence of a private farm. So lying flat was unfortunately not an option.
:D

>You could lighten the iris a bit more if you wish
I'm very new to photography and post processing so would really appreciate it if you guided me as to how to lighten only the iris?

Thanks a lot.

Simon Bennett
07-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I like the pose and crisp presentaion, good job with exposure. Cool bird.

Ramon M. Casares
07-26-2009, 06:39 PM
I think is nice, probably a lower angle would've improved BG. Nice pose, light and species.
Congratuations.