PDA

View Full Version : Yellowlegs, lesser

Jeff Nadler
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
http://www.jnphoto.net/yellowlegs-0279.jpg

The bill length indicates a lesser to me, although a birding friend feels it is a greater.

Title changed per feedback!

End of day sunlight, Canon 500mm f4, shutter speed: 1/1600 sec, aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av, Flash: External E-TTL High speed sync
Flash exposure compensation: +1
Metering mode: Evaluative ISO 400
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM

Arthur Morris
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Very nice. With the soft light and the head turn, the less than ideal sun angle is actually fine. With the ever-so-slightly upturned bill (the effect of which is minimized by the head turn) and the light base to the bill, I would call this one a male greater. Male shorebirds have bills that average well shorter than the bills of the females, so males at the short end of the clinal range (like this one) can be sexed by bill length. Lessers always have dead straight needle-thin bills and are nowhere near as stocky as your bird. Nice BKGR.

later and love, artie

ps: Those interested in why know so much about shorebirds are invited to check out my book, "Shorebirds; Beautiful Beachcombers." :)

Maxis Gamez
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi Jeff,

Lovely pose, composition, details and light. You have a winner here!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Very clean and elegant image despite the harsh light. I wish for a stronger catch light and maybe a tad more space at the bottom for the virtual legs.

Caroline Darmo
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Well Artie beat me to it, I was double checking in the Sibley field guide & have to agree on Greater Yellowlegs. The bill is stockier & slightly upturned in addition to being just a little bit longer than the head.( I didn't know it was a male though) I think it's a beautiful bird with a pretty background, only wish for a little more room for the virtual legs.

Arthur Morris
02-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Jeff, Should have mentioned that the "dirtiness" (for lack of a better word) of the lores and the chin is a bit bothersome to me.

later and love, artie

ps: My one and only photography teacher once said (of a photo I was very proud of), "Pick a better subject." This bird is OK, but not in perfect feather. The photo is better looking than the bird!

Jeff Nadler
02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Jeff, Should have mentioned that the "dirtiness" (for lack of a better word) of the lores and the chin is a bit bothersome to me.

later and love, artie

ps: My one and only photography teacher once said (of a photo I was very proud of), "Pick a better subject." This bird is OK, but not in perfect feather. The photo is better looking than the bird!

Hi Artie,

Your comment mirrors some recent thoughts that I've had about shorebirds. I have only pursued photographing them during fall migration and on wintering grounds. Spring migration, tougher to find groups on any certain day, would certainly offer much fresher plumage on adults. That may be my plan this spring!

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
No nits from me!!!!
Great image!