PDA

View Full Version : The Thick of It

Paul Marcellini
07-25-2009, 09:09 PM
As Judd already described, we went to Fakahatchee. It is visually intense. I love it though. I have been shying away from the strong foreground verticals a little when possible and here is one of those. Since getting the 5d2 I can now try comps that I knew would probably only work printed large, and they will be. Thanks for looking,
Paul

compression is killing it.

5d2, 16-35II@31mm f13 iso200 base exp. 5s, highlights 1.6s

Paul Marcellini
07-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Here's the shoes that protected my toes from the crayfish.

Dave Mills
07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Paul, Your image really gives a sense of place. I like how the light is filtering down into the underbrush and the reflection in the pool. Roman will be surprised you upgraded your footwear. They look neat!

JB Ellis
07-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I love it. The fog, the reflections, the beautifully saturated colors. I feel like I'm there.

Julie Kenward
07-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Stunning image, Paul. The light filtering down really adds to the strong verticals and the beautiful reflection. Only suggestion I have to is crop a hair off the right side to get rid of that very sliver of a partial tree next to the edge of the frame.

Cindy Cone
07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Absolutely gorgeous, Paul. It does give a wonderful sense of the Fakahatchee. The only thing I might do would be a slight burn to the highlight in the top, just right of center.

Great shoes, too.

Paul Marcellini
07-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys,

Julie, I noticed that and should have cropped for web. For print, the mat will cover it.

Cindy, good catch, I've started letting highlights blow and shadows go dark more and more but that one could use a touch of work.

Ed Vatza
07-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Wow, there is so much happening there. I feel I am pulled into the scene and in need of a machete to get back out. You've captured place very, very well!

Robert Amoruso
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Nice work Paul and add the tweaks mentioned by Cindy and Julie.

I know what you mean on the right, I leave stuff on too knowing the mat will cover it.

What's the story with the shoes. No links or manufacturer's name? :)

Paul Marcellini
07-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Sorry Robert, they are Vibram Five Fingers KSO. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey Paul,
You worry about a few crayfish biting your toes but walk through the glades and snakes with flip flops?.......you're going to have to explain that one to me! Nice advice by Jules and Cindy and can imagine that the jpeg compression had to be huge with all the textures. Nice mood and feel here......nailed it!

Judd Patterson
08-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Nice view of this really dense scene. I like the effect of your fogged lens...sure bet this does look nice printed large!