PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Like A Little Sugar Water...

Julie Kenward
07-25-2009, 08:23 PM
I was out at Powell Gardens today with a friend when I stopped to look at their hummingbird feeders and all of a sudden a whole flock of the little birds descended for a drink! My friend had never seen hummingbirds up close before and she was having a ball watching the territorial disputes and the in-flight hovering. I threw on the new 400mm lens and we stood there for close to 30 minutes watching them fly back and forth between the two feeders, fighting the hornets for a drink. I never did get a photo with multiple birds all in focus at the same time but that didn't stop us from having a great time!

Alfred Forns
07-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Hi Jules They are fun watching .. did you get some in flight :)

Julie Kenward
07-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I got a couple but they were always in a not-so-great location as far as BG goes. I cranked the ISO up to 400 and that gave me enough speed to at least partially freeze them as they came in for a landing.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Great to see so many birds and particularly the young ones.

Kerry Perkins
07-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Cute Jules! We have three feeders at our house and this is very typical. We've seen as many as seven at a time co-existing! Great to be in a place where they stay year-round.

Gus Cobos
07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
A social gathering indeed Julie...I like it...:cool:

Julie Kenward
07-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I've had a feeder up off and on the past two summers and I always get an aggressive male that chases everyone else away. I had never seen multiple birds at a feeder before - it was rather exciting!

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Looks like you are having a great summer Jules. Very lovely capture and the sugar water seems to be working well. Thanks for sharing.