PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Leaf

Julie Kenward
07-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I didn't get the name of the plant but I know it's a tropical - it was in the greenhouse with the banana plants. I loved the way the light that was coming through all the different layers of leaves.

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
f8 @ 1/125th, ISO 100
Manual mode. pattern metering, handheld, bright sunlight
Processed in ACR & CS4; slight crop and levels and curves adjustments to enhance the patterns from the light.

Randy Stout
07-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Jules:

Lots of interesting shapes, tones, lines here. I really like the strong diagonal line of the stem, and the leaves sweeping off it. The bright lines of the back layer on the right seemed perhaps a bit too attention drawing, so I looked at a couple of tweaks there. As I looked at the image, I wondered if going to B&W would simplify it a bit, but maintain the interesting detail?

Perhaps this should have been an OOTB post, but I am still relearning my B&W feel, after years of color only.

Truly just presented to help me learn.

Thanks for sharing, and making a few extra electrons circulate in my noggin.

Randy

Steve Maxson
07-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi Jules. Lots of interesting lines, shapes, and colors here - though my initial reaction is that maybe there is too much going on all at once. I find my eye bouncing all around the image not knowing where to stop. Just my opinion though, and it will be interesting to hear the thoughts of other folks. :)

Julie Kenward
07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Randy, I like your idea for a black and white although the "business" of this image is what drew it to me. Maybe it's just me but I've looked at it again and again and I still like how busy it is with the colors and patterns going in every which direction. Maybe I just needed to dirty up a background for a change!

Randy Stout
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Julie:

You get the final vote! If you like it, its accomplished its mission.

It certainly keeps your eye moving around.

Randy

Anita Bower
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM
For me, there are too many lines going every which way. I think the lower left side works better than the upper right side. I wonder if a wider open aperture might have blurred the BG making it less distracting. But then, you were attracted to the busyness!