PDA

View Full Version : The Carter Shields cabin in Cades Cove (GSMNP)

Mark Perry
07-25-2009, 06:23 PM
http://galloimages.zenfolio.com/img/v2/p380745706-4.jpg

Canon 40D, 3 exposures ( -2,0,+2), partly sunny day; f8 @23mm (17-55mm), ISO 100; HDR in Photomatix Pro, Lightroom Crop, minor adjustments with a touch of Topaz Adjust 3.

Dave Mills
07-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Mark, Been to that location a few times and you have a very pleasing example of it. Good leading line to the cabin with nice even lighting. I like the effect between HDR and Topaz. For my taste I might crop a bit off the left....

Mark Perry
07-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks Don. I plan to go back (taking my wife for her first visit) in late October for Fall Colors. Cades Coves itself has lots of photo ops let along the rest of this vast National Park.

Dave Mills
07-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Mark, Fall is a great time but make sure you call someone down there to make sure the colors are out. I went one year at the optimum time(we checked workshop schedules and the internet) and when we got there...no color!
A tip: In the fall certain areas of Cades Cove is fabulous for mushrooms. I never saw so many varieties to shoot.
CC is a one way so as your driving through look for them on the right side of the road and then go back in the woods a bit to find more...The Smokeys are also very nice in the spring.

Mark Perry
07-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, I was there in late April with a photog friend of mine (he has been there a few times) thus he was "showing me around".

I was told about the fall colors peak being variable.. from mid-Oct to mid-Nov (according to the folks at the Tally Ho inn in Townsend) so I split the difference and made reservations for Oct 26-28. I can always cancel the reservations with no penalty. They did suggest I call them to get an update , which I will. I heard about the mushrooms.

Mark

Katherine Enns
07-25-2009, 08:59 PM
This is a beautiful capture with perfect composition. I love the position of the cabin and the angle, the trees on either side. The low angle makes it look respectful, somehow, dont know how else to describe it. Its far and away more well kept than any average historical cabin, and the path in is well worn. You folks look after your heritage farm sites far better than we do.

I have learned a bit looking at this thanks. And benefited from the beauty of it.

kat

JB Ellis
07-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I too know that cabin and you have a wonderful capture of it. Very nice composition and I like the wide view including the area to the left. I think it gives it more depth, more back in the woods. The HDR effect adds to the interest too.

Hazel Grant
07-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Been there several times. First time I'vd seen some HDR in a photo of it, though, and like it. Adds some depth. Good comp.

Julie Kenward
07-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Mark, this is a beautiful HDR - not too overdone and the feeling is so serene. The only suggestion I have would be to possibly consider cloning out the heavy branch in the ULC - it doesn't feel connected to anything and my eye keeps getting hung up on it. I also think you could try a second version of this with just a bit more on the dark tones to give it a boost of contrast.

Robert Amoruso
07-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Mark,

I agree with Julie on that one branch. Other then that well done for all the reasons mentioned above.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey Mark,
Greetings from Alaska! I do agree with the one horizontal branch as it seems out of place but may take Dave's approach and crop it out and proportionally remove the left. Would strengthen the cabins impact