PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Question

Ed Vatza
07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
I've be working on pricing prints so what happens? I get a call from someone asking about using one of my my images in an ad for a small community radio station. I haven't thought about that end at all. Any tips? Obviously, I want to retain rights to the image. I assume I limit use to a specific number of ads and/or a specific timeframe.

I should point out that this is a start-up community radio station with about a 3-mile reach but in a resort area. Any tips on pricing, etc. would be appreciated. I should also add that this is in a resort area where I plan to sell in the future so any exposure there would be a good thing. Thanks.

Jim Neiger
07-25-2009, 04:48 PM
If you want to sell more images in the area, you may want to suggest a trade. They plug your photo business on the radio and you supply the image they want for their advertising.

Mark Fuge
07-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Given your both starting up and have little financing (I presume) I think Jim is right. Advertizing is free to them and your prints would be inexpensive for you to provide. You could agree on usage and number of prints per ad. But that is minimal. Their business needs you and you can benefit from there business.

Just don't keep doing it for everyone and you may want to still write up a contract so it is a business agreement in case someone hears about it and wants the same price, like the newspaper, or local TV/Cable?

Good Luck!

Ed Vatza
07-27-2009, 05:36 AM
I thought I had responded here. Guess it was in my dreams.

Anyway, I like your suggestions. I will ponder today. I told him that I'd get back to him tonight.

While the station is a community radio station running just one watt and with just a five mile reach covering the resort area, he wants to create an iPhone application to listen to the station that would be available for sale and use my image as the background for that application. I can't imagine wide interest in an iPhone app for a tiny radio station but that's the story.

Ed Vatza
07-28-2009, 07:29 PM
OK, here's the deal.

I have had several very pleasant conversations with the gentleman who want to use my image. here's what it looks like.

1) He will pay a nominal fee to use the image.
2) I retain ownership of the image.
3) He will use it as background for an iPhone application linking to the local community radio station that he just started. Page 2 of the app will include a link to my website.
4) He will use the image as background for the station website which will webcast the station. He will provide a link to my website from there.
5) When I come into the resort town to work the art shows (2), he will promote my business and booth for the week preceding and during the show.

Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

Roger Clark
07-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Ed,
Sounds pretty good to me.

Roger