PDA

View Full Version : Egret- My first posting

Bob Miller
07-25-2009, 02:14 PM
hello everyone..I am new to the site and this is my first posting. Hoping to learn alot! I would appreciate any comments but especially comments regarding cropping,whites,
This photo was taken with my new 200-400 mm Nikon lense at Bombay Hook National Refuge.
recorded data : 7:50 am, 1/1250 sec, f8, ISO 400 , 400 mm
cropped, highlight /shadow adjustment

Kerry Perkins
07-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Greetings Bob and big welcome to the BPN flock! Nice first post and you picked a tough one! Good job with the flight capture - you have good action here. Good head angle and wing position although would be good if you had one with the right wing a bit higher or lower so it is not behind the head. I like the position of the bird just about to touch the water!

As for composition, I would suggest cropping about 1/4 from the top, right about where the water starts to turn green. You can preview this quickly by scrolling the window of your browser until it starts to cut off the top. I think that would make a stronger composition.

As for the light, it is your choice as to whether to reproduce the warm light of morning or to make the color temp cooler which would make the bird more white. The whites here are well controlled but the strong direct light has made a hot spot on the bird's back. The harsh light is always tough to deal with and adds to the overall softness of the image. Did you consider adding some sharpening? Would help to bring out the feather detail and especially the eye.

Hope to see lots more from you! Good show!

Cheryl Slechta
07-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Bob - Welcome to BPN! I agree with Kerry's suggestions and it is a really nice first post:)

Ron Boisvert
07-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Bob! Welcome to BPN! That's a very nice image for a first post.

I completely agree with Kerry's suggestion on the crop. I checked the pixels on the bird's shoulder because they looked a little hot to me too, and they are not blown out. I tried a Select-Color Range-Multiply adjustment to that area and didn't like the result, so I cloned a little from a slightly darker area to tone it down. That looked better to me.

In my opinion, this is a really nice capture. I can't wait to see more! Keep them coming...

Lance Peters
07-25-2009, 08:25 PM
HI Bob - a big warm welcome to the BPN Family - some good advice from your brothers and sisters above.
Really like the action - Good HA and sharp details. Agree with the cropping from the top - a little too much negative space up there for my tastes.
The only other thing I would have liked a little more separation between the head and the far wing.

BUT still very nice first post - looking forward to seeing more :)

Jeff Cashdollar
07-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Bob,

Great post, what was metering mode and pattern?

Alfred Forns
07-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Big Warm Welcome Bob !!!

Amazing how the whites can be affect that early in the day !!! Exposure is not bad and the whites easily fixed with Ron's advice .. there should be a tutorial on the subject if not send me a PM !!

Great suggestions and fully agree !!! Looking forward to the next !!!

Bob Miller
07-26-2009, 12:07 PM
In this repost...I tried changing the white balance temperature as suggested by Kerry and i think I like the whites much better, thanks so much! What do others think? I also sharpened a bit more and toned down the hot spot Again ...Thanks to all!

Bob Miller
07-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Also to Jeff....Shooting mode was manual with spot metering

Ron Boisvert
07-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi Bob, I think your repost is a significant improvement over the original post. I like it much better!

Christopher Miller
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Definite improvement on the repost, Bob. Personally, I would crop even more off the top; but that's just my opinion. Excellent first post and welcome to BPN!

Bob Miller
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks Ron and Chris and a big thank you to Kerry for the tip on lowering white balance temp to brighten the whites.

Gus Cobos
07-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Bob,
A big warm welcome to our BPN family...I like your repost...its right on the money, the color rendition is good and the head angle and eye contact is spot on...congrats...looking forward to your next one...:cool: