PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Plover #1

Aidan Briggs
07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Just back from Sands Beach near Santa Barbara, CA. Tons of Snowy plovers all over the place, and quite a few chicks as well. Plenty more to come.

50D, 100-400 at 400
1/1600, f/7.1, ISO 400
Handheld, Almost full frame

Axel Hildebrandt
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I like the angle, eye contact, exposure control and calm water. I might sharpen the bird a little more and remove the sheen on the left leg and its reflection.

Aidan Briggs
07-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the comment Axel. On my monitor this seems plenty sharp, though it could just be me. I didn't notice the sheen in the reflection until you mentioned it, but even now it doesn't bug me unduly.

Daniel Cadieux
07-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I like the clean and simple composition. The blue water is of a particularly appealing hue. The sheen on the leg doesn't bug me much either, but the one small white speck on the reflection could be dealt with. On my monitor a bit more sharpening could be done, but it doesn't need much. You could lighten the iris a very tiny bit more since we can already see a faint glimpse of it. Can't wait to see the chicks, you did get some of those too?

Phil Ertel
07-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice! I think this composition presents this bird very well. No confusing what the main point of interest in this image is:D. Sheen should go.

Arthur Morris
07-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey Aiden, The bird looks a little muddy/overly contrasty and that may give the appearance of unsharpness. I have a question: did you do anything involving a selection of either the bird or the BKGR.

I agree with the positives noted above.

Aidan Briggs
07-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Artie: I selectively toned down the whites a tad, but did not select the whole bird. I did do +5 points of contrast in pp.

Daniel: I did get a few of the chicks, but they were so far developed that they were almost juveniles. There were very few younger ones, and they generally steered clear of me.

I darkened the overall exposure by 1/3 stop in DPP,(can't wait to get ACR) as some of the whites on the chest were overexposed in the RAW. I had to lighten the eye quite a bit just to get a hint of the pupil showing.

Stu Bowie
07-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Super comp, and I like the low angle Aidan. I agree with maybe selectively sharpening the plover, and looking forward to more of these little guys.

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Now you know to go back earlier in the season next year to get the chicks. As for photographing the little ones, get ahead of where they are foraging and let them come to you. Nice simple portrait.

Ramon M. Casares
07-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I love it, clean and nice.
I would tone down the whites a bit more though.
Congratulaitons!