Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Low
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

C&C are appreciated.

Rob..............

Daniel Cadieux
07-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm glad you understand the need for higher ISO in this situation as you got quite slow shutter speed for both the focal lenght and the active type of bird you photographed. Critical focus point is on the wing and combined with the shallow DOF it has rendered the face softer than the body (too bad it is looking away). I wish the greenish "blob" extend out from the throat wasn't there. Did you have the time or space to go down even more?

I like the setting you got this guy in - I love the orange pebbles at bottom, and I like the wet feathers and raised crest. Is this a water setup? P.S. Good title!

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Was it possible to move further to your left to create more of a profile? Detail and colors are stunning in the body and wing area, but DOF restrictions rendered the head a little soft.

Aidan Briggs
07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Yes, A higher ISO would have been better on this one. Too bad the focus in on the back, though the head and body are angled away anyway. I would also like to see a lower angle.

Lots of potential here, the technique just needs a little improvement.

Keep them coming.

Rob Miner
07-25-2009, 01:26 PM
This was a 30' stream man made on Padre Island at the Bird Conservancy. Couldn't get lower. Green blob is a rock in the backgrn water. Moving to the left was blocked by shrubbry/ All in all I was a rank beginner when I took this picture - trying to remember "everything" - and it didn't work. My reason for submitting this picture is to learn what I should have done. Thanks one and all for your time and consideration.

Rob............

Axel Hildebrandt
07-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Great find and good behavior captured. I agree with Daniel's suggestions. If the head were parallel to the camera sensor, it would have made it stronger. I would tone down the highlights, they are partially overexposed, negative EC would have helped.

Ramon M. Casares
07-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Great suggestions and critiques above. Nice natural moment and species.