PDA

View Full Version : A day at the beach (arctic that is)...

Katherine Enns
07-25-2009, 12:31 PM
I dont know what y'all might think of landscapes shot from the air. This was taken while working at distance from a remote mine site north of Yellowknife in the low Arctic, near Lac du Gras, which is about 800 km south of the Beaufort Sea. I was working out of a very slow airspeed, low elevation helicopter each day to several sites in untraveled and untouched tundra. Well, ok untouched by us. Barren ground caribou and grizzly tracks can be seen up close on this beach. Its not careful shooting but the subject can be compelling. There are several beaches and dunes in this part of the Canadian arctic. The water is always very clear. This was from 250 meters up.

Do aerial shots work as a landscape? Should I show more of these, as landscapes or should I move to ETL with these? Comments and criticism most welcome.

Shot a year ago with Canon Xsi
f/11
1/320 s
ISO 400
24 - 105 @ 24 mm

Paul Marcellini
07-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I like aerials and this works for the nice s curve composition. Nothing to change as far as processing, i would just like some point of interest, be it a bear on the beach or a striking change in vegetation texture or color. Yes I would love to see more.

Dave Mills
07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi Katherine, I like how you handled the image. Not easy to frame a comp from a moving helicopter. I would think these type of images should be in landscapes. Thats what it is except at a different angle. As Paul said"would love to see more"

Katherine Enns
07-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks Paul and Dave. Will try to get a Griz in the shot next time, lol! (We spent every morning flying for an hour looking for grizzly bears, and I tried to explain to them that maybe a helicopter flying at low speed and elevation might be why they NEVER SEE them.). It is very restrictive shooting from an aircraft like this, you really need a pilot who understands how you want your camera and can anticipate your shot. When I finish this stupid work thingie, I will try to post a few more of these.

I do have a few barren ground caribou but they are all too tiny, sorry.

Kat

Julie Kenward
07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
I agree...it's very nice and always good to get a different perspective from the air. I agree with Paul that something to add real interest would help here but the line of the beach and the gradual gradiation of the sand-to-water is beautiful. Nicely done.

Cindy Cone
07-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree, keep the aerials coming, Kat. As mentioned, nice S curve, and I like the patterns created with the sand and waves.

JB Ellis
07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I love aerial views and I am so envious of you being in a unique and cool place while I am suffering our long hot summer. I like how you handled the composition. That is beautiful curve in the beach. I wonder how this shot would work at a lower angle and a low sun level. Just a thought, the image is beautiful as is.

Katherine Enns
07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey, JB. Well I am lucky to be able to get dragged off to these places for sure. Leaving in a week for the north again, this time I am taking Bruce so we hope to get some great shots. And you have some incredible landscapes too, there. Your beach and sea S curve you posted recently, I liked very much. In fact it sort of inspired me to find this in the work files and post it.

its funny you should mention the low angle. In the low Arctic (and this is a generalization) the landscape can get a bit featureless. Its really from the low flights in the air that its fabulous. I will try to illustrate this for you later on.

kat

Robert Amoruso
07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
AOK on aerial landscapes in this forum Kat.

As mentioned strong s-curve is a big asset here. I like how you included a small spit of land at the top and large one at the bottom.

Roman Kurywczak
07-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Kat,
Can't add much but do understand as I am typing this from Alaska.......some of the areas.....while beautiful....do get a bit fetureless from the air. If the pilot isn't a passionate photographer......also makes it quite difficult. Not sure a lone bear would have had much impact from this height.....but a herd of coribou?.....maybe.

Morkel Erasmus
08-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I like shots like these, and don't mind seeing more. Agree on the S-curve being a strong asset here. Some sort of anchor/feature would have been a plus.