PDA

View Full Version : Crested Barbet

Stu Bowie
07-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Im having fun with my mini feeder set up in my garden. This was taken this morning. The BG is natural, and is dark shadow from the shrubs in the garden bed. Im still adjusting to the set up, so not sure on what setting to go with. In hindsight, I could have gone with a + EC. I have added a catchlight to the eye.

Canon 50D
100-400 L IS USM @ 400mm
1/1600
F/6.3
ISO 200

Exp comp 0
Hand held

David Fletcher
07-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Extraordinary bird Stuart. The details on the bird are fine, so the only areas i would consider are the actual perch for aesthetics, and the placement so that the light catches the bg: (not convinced a black bg helps in this case). Good work on the eye.

Lorant Voros
07-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I know this bird from my trip to South Africa. Very nice presentation....what is the BG? Catchlight works fine, details are great too. Looking forward to see some more of that coming:-). Congratulations.

Gerrie van Vuuren
07-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Like the pose & composition. Bird is well exposed with great detail & colours. Think a lighter BG would have worked better with this bird. Still well done!

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Stunning subject with lots of detail. The beak seems to blend into the BG.

Daniel Cadieux
07-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Interesting species here Stuart. Quite sharp, and it gave you a good head turn too. Since this is a garden setup I would strongly recommend finding a more attractive perch. Something of a much smaller diameter, and without a sawed-off ending. Some of the whites are pushing hot (I would actually tone some of the highlights down)...going +EC would have effectively blown them so staying even on the EC was a good call. I would also darken the pupil - but great job with the added catchlight!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Sharpness, and head angle look good, I also like the raised crest. I agree with Daniel regarding the perch and since this is a setup would prefer a lighter BG for more separation between subject and BG.

Simon Bennett
07-26-2009, 03:42 AM
Good pose, crisply presented and a very cool bird. I vote for a lighter background and more natural looking perch too.

Stu Bowie
07-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you all so much for the great feedback.

Daniel, This is only part of the setup, and I have a few much thinner perches. I will have a re-look at adding more thinner branches so they dont use the two cut off ends. Thanks for your guidance.

Ramon M. Casares
07-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Amazing species and great comp and light IMO. Black BG just doesn't do it for me and the perch IMO is a little too big and unnatural. Love the detail, colors and pose.
Congratulations! What I wouldn't give to have a feeder in south africa!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Hey Stu
Not keen on that BG, sorry. The perch is a bit rough, but your bird has a great pose and eye contact. Well done. :)

Kiran Poonacha
07-27-2009, 05:52 AM
oh brother, what a beautiful bird, loved the pose, the HA is great with wonderful details, nice spot light effect. Congrats...

Can you share some info on the feeder and the feed used I would like to try it at my estate at coorg too...