PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Eagle Aquila rapax vindhiana

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi
07-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Hello everybody,

This is my first image on BPN. Hope to learn and improve a great deal form you all.

Canon 1D MIII with Canon 500 f/4, Handheld.

EXIF: 1/500, f/4, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metering, ISO 1000, AI Servo with central focus point, +1 EC, AF sensitivity set to low.

I took this picture late in the evening (a very cloudy one). The eagle was flying against the sky hence compensated to +1, but as I took a couple of shots, the eagle suddenly came low and was against a varied BG. I ended up slightly blowing up the pale area on the nape and rump, but hope I recovered details while processing!

I would have preferred the eagle a bit more in plane with the sensor. I like the wing position and I think the details are ok.

What do you guys think?

Stu Bowie
07-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Welcome to BPN doc, and what a great species to share with us. Super sharp detail on the head, and well done on capturing the wings on the downstroke. Your self critique of not being parallel to you, means you have to go back and capture another one. Thanks for sharing, and keep them coming.

Ramon M. Casares
07-25-2009, 08:03 AM
I agree that if the bird were flying parallel to you at giving you at least a profile would've benn better, but the pose, detail, BG, light and comp are really nice, good first post and welcome!

Rohan Kamath
07-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Really loved the composition and facial details on this one.Also the open talons add a powerful feel to the image IMO.

Brian Barcelos
07-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I agree with whats been said. Wish he were flying at you and not away from you. Very beautiful species.

Brian

David Fletcher
07-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Cracking first post Dr: (may I call u that?). Your own self critique is pretty cool, so can only add i like the head turn and the bg could do with a tickle of nr which would polish the image off nicely. Can say for free, would be very happy with this as is.

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Subject would benefit from your own observations about being parallel to the sensor and BG is a little bit noisy.

Jay Gould
07-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi Dr., welcome to BPN - what a strong opening image to share with us.

How really wonderful. Yes, it could have flown more parallel to the sensor - I don't believe this is a trained eagle ;) - you cannot take a couple of steps left of right as you might in a landscape; I think it ROCKS!

I really like the catchlight in the front portion of the eye and tip of the beak showing the direction of the light.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful first presentation.

Markus Jais
07-25-2009, 04:33 PM
I agree with your self-critique but this is a great shot nonetheless. Great sharpness and I like the head turn.
Fantastic shot of a fantastic bird.

Markus

Axel Hildebrandt
07-25-2009, 05:11 PM
I like the sharpness, soft light, wing position and BG. Adding to the other comments, I would try to remove the magenta cast and wish the bird would fly towards you. Did you make images earlier in this series before the bird passed you?

christopher galeski
07-26-2009, 03:29 AM
nice shot,BG, sharp,wing position,as been said,it would have been better with bird more parallel.but still a good image,and I like the HA.thanks.

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi
07-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you all for looking and commenting, appreciate it.

Cracking first post Dr: (may I call u that?).

David, not a problem.

I don't believe this is a trained eagle ;) - you cannot take a couple of steps left of right as you might in a landscape;

Ha ha Jay, I think it is wishful thinking on my part. As it is, I always manage to find something that's wrong in my pictures.

I would try to remove the magenta cast and wish the bird would fly towards you. Did you make images earlier in this series before the bird passed you?

Axel, could the magenta cast probably be due to the late evening light conditions? This picture was one of the two I managed to click. The one before this had the wings almost in plane with the body, and the head was concealed behind one of the wings. The eagle was never really parallel to me.

Axel Hildebrandt
07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Axel, could the magenta cast probably be due to the late evening light conditions? This picture was one of the two I managed to click. The one before this had the wings almost in plane with the body, and the head was concealed behind one of the wings. The eagle was never really parallel to me.

In low light it happens often that cameras get the white balance wrong. You should be able to fix this in your RAW converter with color temperature and/or tint adjustment.

Kiran Poonacha
07-27-2009, 05:45 AM
Welcome Dr. great first post... keep them coming..