PDA

View Full Version : Have a little fun

David Hunter
01-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Thanks so much for starting this site!! I really look forward to some great ideas along with the actionable feedback.

I took this the other day and have been wondering how I could of improved it ever since. There were several cows in the field at the WMA to apparently (mow) the grass to the right height for the snowgeese. I wasn't expecting this calf to get frisky with the geese, but he did. The image might have a slight warmth. I had a warming filter on the lens, and I'm still trying to figure out how to warm it up without correcting it out in photoshop.

Nikon D200 600mm non-AF 1/250 @ 5.6

Lana Hays
01-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Welcome, David
You just have to love a calf for stirring up the birds. I like this image because it's certainly a different action than what one might expect to see.....right place at the right time. A few things that I might change would be to not have the calf so centered. Also, I'd like to have something in the image sharp. I think that you needed a faster shutter speed to accomplish the sharpness. I don't use warming filters but rather add some warmth during the conversion of the image from RAW. If you don't shoot RAW, (or NEF I believe in Nikon) then you might want to try that in the future. I realize that that is still a "manipulation" but just not Photoshop.

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Give me a break David !!!!! Great encounter !!!!

In a situation like that I would go for multiple exposures Just let it rip Would be great having one without the flying birds merging with the calf I like the clean lower very much and would love seeing the same for the top

I like Lanas suggestion to warm during conversion !!!!

Jim Neiger
01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi David,

I agree with the suggestions you got from Lana and Al. It's dificult to advise you on exposure since you didn't include ISO info, but bumping up your ISO to get more shutter speed may have helped with sharpness. You may also want to apply a clockwise rotation to level the horizon.

David Hunter
01-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all your input, I'm sorry about the ISO, it was 800. I did shoot RAW so I will look into how to use the converter to add the warmth.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I agree with all the above suggestions but love the idea behind this image. It is definitely an action filled capture and with the mentioned changes a very interesting and exciting capture !!