PDA

View Full Version : The Lookout

Ron Boisvert
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Canon 20D w/ 70-200 f/4, 1.4xTC, @ 280mm, handheld
ISO 400, f/10 @ 1/800, Aperture Priority, Auto Exposure, +2/3EV, cropped left and right side, small amount off bottom

For starters, this image is a little soft. I used f/10 because they were not on the same plane of focus. I'd be especially interested in hearing opinions about the composition, as well as anything else worth noting. Thanks for looking.

Alfred Forns
07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Ron

For this I might have gone the other way and shot wide open !! Not sure you could make it sharp even stopping down all the way so why not try the other was and see what happens !!

I like the poses and is well composed If anything more room in the direction the bird is looking !!!!

Dave Mills
07-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi Ron, Interesting subject matter. Two things that I believe would help an image like this. First would be better light. Looks like this was shot close to midday and the light can be a bit harsh. Secondly, I would have preferred the bird on the right looking the other way(instead of out of the frame) which would show some interaction between the two....

Lance Peters
07-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Ron - agree withAL and Daves comments - also for me feels a little tight at the bottom, also not sure about the squareish crop - tall birds tend to suit a vertical crop more than a square/rectangular - see why you went square but just something to keep in mind.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Kerry Perkins
07-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Ron. I think this works fairly well composition-wise, but it would work better if these were objects rather than birds. As presented, I find that the birds looking away from each other tends to pull the eye in two different directions. Would be stronger if they were looking at each other or in the same direction as Dave mentioned. I feel that each bird would stand alone as a good subject, but together they tend to fight for my attention. Agree with the harsh light comments, it is one of the hardest conditions to deal with. Some of the white areas are ever so close to going over the edge, but overall you did quite will with the light! Keep them coming!

Ron Boisvert
07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Repost per suggestions - I don't quite know what got into me, but I decided to offer us this visual aid in response to the comments. I would never actually do this to an image, but I wanted to see the difference in the feel of the two versions.

When I first saw the shot, I wanted to emphasize 'Tension', which is why I cropped the original so tightly to the right bird. I was also aware that the bird seemed to be walking out of the frame as I had cropped it. I have plenty of image on both sides, as this was a horizontal. I posted it because I wanted to see your reactions to the original composition; that is, whether it was completely off the wall or not. I believe the rotated head image is more pleasing compositionally. However, I think they convey a different mood too.

Perhaps I've over-intellectualized the image. It would probably work better if they were people...?

As for the harsh lighting, I will shoot continuously throughout the day to maximize practice time with my equipment so I can get better at handling the controls, and improve my reaction time. I'm still a rookie!:)

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks a lot!

William Malacarne
07-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Ron

I kind of like the original post other than it needed a little more canvas on the right....It gave me the feeling of...go ahead and take a nap I will keep a watch out for danger while you do.

Bill

Jay Gould
07-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Ron, not crazy about the RP because it looks like you just turned the head. The lookout seems to be walking one way and looking the other. I also think there is too much foreground - preferred the OP.

Regarding the OP, I would simply add more canvass on the RHS so that the lookout isn't walking into the RH frame.

Alfred Forns
07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Ron I like the re post better but has the same problem ..... not enough room to the left !!!!! You want the bird closer to the right edge and room for him to look into !!!

At times birds looking out of the frame can look excellent, but don't feel this is the time. Regarding looking left or right it does give a different feel and would be personal preference !! ... also like your idea of shooting all day for practice !!!

btw foreground wise agree with Jay and could take some out !!!

Ron Boisvert
07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for helping me out with my exercise in composition. Many useful suggestions and comments were offered, and I learned a lot.

Onwards and upwards!